Most Characterfull Yeast for Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I just scored me 10 pounds of red wheat, so I am going to make a hefeweizen.

50% red wheatmalt
50% Pilsen
18-20 IBU of vanguard at 90
No finishing hops
Mash at 152-153
Ferment at 62 (let rise?)
Yeast?

I love banana and clove flavor to dominate my hefeweizen. I know everybody loves WLP300 and I will use that if I need to, but can anybody reccomend a different strain that has a lot of charachter or maybe even a modification to my process/recipe that could help encourage these flavors?

I'd say that looks perfect to me...with the Weihenstephan yeast. The lightly-kilned Pilsner malt will give you some really nice clove phenols. And you'll still get plenty of esters/banana at 62 that won't overpower the subtitles of the phenols. I think you can get exactly what you're looking for with that yeast.

I would keep it at 62 until activity slows, then bump it up to 70ish to help finish.

Water / mash pH also matters...will you acidify your mash?

I'd say that looks perfect to me. The lightly-kilned Pilsner malt will give you some really nice clove phenols. And you'll still get plenty of esters/banana at 62 that won't overpower the subtitles of the phenols.

I would keep it at 62 until activity slows, then bump it up to 70ish to help finish. Also I usually mash mine at 154/155, but I like a bit more body.

Water / mash pH also matters...do you have a way to acidify your mash? That'll help give you a nice bright-flavored beer.

I could add some acidulated malt to the grist? I don't know how alse to acidify.

Is a multistep mash with decoction for final sach rest worth it?

Nah, skip the decoction. You could add 4-6oz of melanoidin malt to give you some of those melanoidin warm roasty bread flavors.

I've never used acid malt, but I know many do in their hefes. I usually just use a few mLs of lactic acid. Have you used the EZ water / Bru'n water sheets?

Back