A thought occurs.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snortwheeze

Reaction score
Ve noticed a lot of people saying they have had gushers when bottle carbing. Someone invariably comes along and says "you should use a plastic soda bottle to gauge the carbonation" then the other person says, "I did use a bottle, felt it once at 24 hours, needed more, at 36 hours, gushers". So that got me thinking. What kind of soda bottle are you using? I assume a regular 20oz bottle? Now, most of the time your filling regular beer bottles (12ozs). It seems to me that using a 20oz pop bottle to gauge carbing in 12oz bottles is just asking for bottle bombs. Anyone agree? Is my thinking circular in nature? Thoughts?

Was thinking about that myself and i think the thread you are talking about i was in... You would think if you have 24 oz of fluid vs 12 oz of fluid it would take longer for the 22 oz to do its thing vs 12 oz right??? I havent had this problem yet for beer or cider has any one else?

The only thing i do different when making a gauge bottle is the room left at the top of the bottle is more than the glass bottles....

I think the idea is that you really have to use a soda bottle that is the same size as the beer bottle. Otherwise you are not getting an accurate relection of the pressure building up relative to the liquid/air space available.

Back