Bottles Not Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestCoastB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im totally new to this and I think I screwed up my second batch of brew.
I bottled my beer about 5 days ago now in plastic bottles with screw on caps. I have been squeezing the bottles every day to see how they are coming along and it seems that about half of them are not carbinating at all. The bottles are still squishy and will actually indent if i push them.

Is there a way to save them? I read something about a pill I can drop in the bottles to re carb them?? Also would I be able to transfer them to diff bottles as it seems some of the ones I have arent sealing properly as when I squueze them I can hear air hissy out of them.
HELP!!!

Thanks,

B

you don't have a problem really ... some bottles carb faster than others ... walk away for at least another week before you squeeze a bottle ... two weeks if possible really ... then I'll bet each bottle feels all carbed up ... then chill one for a few days and ... cheers !!

OK fair enough.. I wont freak out yet. But what about some of the ones I noticed have a bad seal for whatever reason and it seems like air is leaking out if i squeeze it a bit? should I just let those ones sit as well? Does the seal have to be 100% in order for it to carb properly?

-B

Hey guys,
.... still squishy and will actually indent if i push ....

...read something about a pill I can drop ......
HELP!!!

Thanks,

B

hmmm.... is this the little blue pill ? :drunk:

Give it time , about 3 weeks at 70 degrees.. Patience please.

OK fair enough.. I wont freak out yet. But what about some of the ones I noticed have a bad seal for whatever reason and it seems like air is leaking out if i squeeze it a bit? should I just let those ones sit as well? Does the seal have to be 100% in order for it to carb properly?

-B

A bad seal will never carbonate.

B,

If you can hear air leaking out of the bottles when you squeeze them, those bottles will never carbonate. I strongly recommend using caps that are not screw on, as these have a much better chance of sealing properly. You of course can always crank down the screw caps as tight as possible, but even then CO2 might be able to escape. Depending on how much sugar is in each bottle, what temperature they're at, how long you waited to bottle after fermentation, and what yeast you used on that batch it could take 5-6 days to carbonate, or 2.5-3 weeks. 70*F with 4oz. Corn Sugar/5 Gallons and no matter what yeast you used you should be fully carbonated in 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Back