stir during batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmwhyte

Reaction score
Different sources say to put x amount of water gently, stir, wait 10 min drain and repeat with all of your sparge volume to extract the most sugar. Will this be effective? Any other suggestions?

I stir the bajeebers out on my mash and sparge when I first add the water, then wait "about" 10 minutes to let it settle down. I usually hit 75% efficiency on my batches.

absolutely stir.

The point of sparging is to rinse the grains of sugars that havent dislocated and dissolved into the wort of the first runnings. Fly sparging accomplishes this by continuously running water over the grains to dislodge the sugars into the sparge water. Batch sparging accomplishes it by dumping the water in all at once (which will free SOME of the sugars, but not all), and then stirring it all to move the water over the grains and free the sugars.

So, you dont have to stir, but stirring increases the amount of sugars you free from their grainy prisons = better efficiency. I also hit 75% efficiency regularly with a batch sparge.

Latest posts

Back