Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled the twins off the smoker around midnight and stuck them in the oven at at 220. I woke up this morning to a glorious aroma. Internal temp was around 180. I just raised the oven heat to 250 to finish them off. Should be ready for an afternoon feast.

Smoking a 12lb brisket, 6 hours into the smoke and it looks delicious. Having my family come over in the evening.
:D

Everybody is dropping off a different meat product at my house on Saturday. Sunday I am waking up at 5am turning on the fire, having a cup of coffee and a smoke to kick off the smoking.

My brother is bringing in a Boston Butt, my father a brisket, I got the ribs, a good friend said he will supply some chickens and finally another friend is bringing sea food. I have never smoked any kind of fish so we will see what happens. I must do research.

I tossed 2 butts on my UDS a couple hours ago to bring to the brew day at our LBHS tomorrow :) Its sitting at 225 and should sit there for the next 6 hours until they are done :)

Always wanted to put a turket on the UDS. Maybe one day... Did you brine?

Yep, brining right now....
•1 gallon water
•1 cup coarse Kosher salt
•3/4 cup soy sauce
•1/2 cup white sugar
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/2 cup honey
•1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
•4 tablespoons black pepper
•3 - 4 tablespoons chopped garlic

from http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101
Smokin Okis's Holiday Brine.
I left out the All spice and the tenderquick and I cut the salt in half from his recipe cause the turkey had the solution injected.

craving some smoked brisket but everywhere I go it is +$5 a pound. any advice on where in northern Virginia I find some reasonably priced brisket? During the summer Target had packer cuts for 1.69 per pound...also looking forward to trader joes offering turkeys on 11.9.11, antibiotic/hormone free for $1.99/lbs

30lbs of baby backs going on the smoker in T minus 4 hours. :rockin:

ribs-11-5-11.jpg

Ened up doing 45 ABT's, some burgers, smoked sausage, grilled some steaks and did a small louisianna crab and shrimp boil. The Toolbox Philly Phall Phollege Phestival was awesome. Zeus would have been jelous of the spread :ban:

20111105_23.jpg

20111105_25.jpg

20111105_26.jpg

Pork butt and venison neck roast today. I am wrapping the venison with bacon. Any advice on final internal temps with the venison? I have read a few conflicting reports that both seem a bit low. 1/2 hour per pound at 250 until 140* seems to be the consensus. I just want to make sure that is safe being game meat. Thanks for any advice.

This is yooper and bob's roast btw. I'm sure nobody wants me to kill HER;)

Pork butt and venison neck roast today. I am wrapping the venison with bacon. Any advice on final internal temps with the venison? I have read a few conflicting reports that both seem a bit low. 1/2 hour per pound at 250 until 140* seems to be the consensus. I just want to make sure that is safe being game meat. Thanks for any advice.

you know what they say, don't poison the mods!

I was just checking to make sure you're up, and working on my dinner!!!! :D

And not killing me works for me.

We don't have a designated driver tonight, so Bob's goal is to keep us both sober. I guess I'd be sober for moral support.

Yooper said:
I was just checking to make sure you're up, and working on my dinner!!!! :D

And not killing me works for me.

We don't have a designated driver tonight, so Bob's goal is to keep us both sober. I guess I'd be sober for moral support.

Pork has been on for an hour and a half already. I've been tweaking the smoker ever since. It was running a little hot. Finally fixed it with a little duct tape.

Too bad...no DD. I guess you guys are still pretty cool sober.

Pork has been on for an hour and a half already. I've been tweaking the smoker ever since. It was running a little hot. Finally fixed it with a little duct tape.

Too bad...no DD. I guess you guys are still pretty cool sober.

Bob just came in from his walk (we're out at the lake) and reminded me of his goals for today:
1. Stay sober
2. Stuff himself silly with meat
3. Sample everything else

Leave it to Bob to have a goal for attending a party. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As an engineer, you know how critical it is to have the correct tools at your disposal. Hopefully, you have enough duct tape.

Yooper said:
Bob just came in from his walk (we're out at the lake) and reminded me of his goals for today:
1. Stay sober
2. Stuff himself silly with meat
3. Sample everything else

Leave it to Bob to have a goal for attending a party. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As an engineer, you know how critical it is to have the correct tools at your disposal. Hopefully, you have enough duct tape.

I agree with 66% of that plan.

I just got a new case of duct tape. Should be good for a while;)

Yooper said:
I'm bringing my camera! Apparently, we're supposed to post meat pictures in this thread and just not talk about it.

I've never had venison on a smoker before, so I'm eager to try it.

You always leave yourself so open ...I will not comment on meat pictures. You can however take all the "dam" meat pictures you like.

Venison will go on at 1:00. I hope that will give an hour to rest or finish cooking. There is still time to give me advice guys.

I actually preferred the venison. Thanks Bob and Yooper for killing it. Food was good, beer was good, company was great. We'll do it again soon.

That was one of the best meals I've had! It was great, the beer was really good, and your family was wonderful as always.

I thought the venison actually tasted like prime rib! Your dad seemed to like it, and your mom said she did too.

My favorite was still your special German potato salad! But the meat was awesome.

We forgot pictures, of course!

I did a Pork Shoulder for some pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow turned out great will show the final product tomorrow

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

Did some wings on a new Traeger Pellet Grill I picked up to help get by during burn bans here in Texas. I must say I'm impressed and very happy to be outdoors cooking again while my Big Green Eggs sit dormant because of the draught.

traegerwings2.jpg

traegerwings3.jpg

traegerwings4.jpg

traegerwings5.jpg

traegerwings6.jpg

I made some hot Italian Sausage and some Garlic and Sage Sausage and smoked some of each as a test run for my Kielbasa I'll be making in a few weeks. I also brewed a batch of my Cream Ale so it was a long day.

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

4 chickens are going on the WSM Saturday in preparation for the Hokies dominating Clemson.

I love yardbirds. Here are the last ones I cooked up my UDS. If you have not tried spatching one I highly recommend giving it a try.

hpim1350.jpg

Back