My hallertauer is wilting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
Can someone help me figure out why? It's well watered and in a sunny spot.

I'll post a picture when I get home. iPhone won't let me.

Photo plus details.

- how long ago was it planted; if new, cutting or rhizome, etc?
- are the leaves showing signs of chewing by pests? or rotting?
- are any other plants nearby exhibiting similar problems?

B

Here is the picture. I planted 4 plants. Hallertauer, Nugget, EKG and Centennial. The Cent is growing great, the EKG is starting to bush out instead of climb, the Nugget (which is right next to the Hall) just broke ground about two weeks ago.

I can't see any sign of insects; no visible bugs, no holes or chewed edges. These were all planted the day after Memorial day.

DSCF8136.jpg

I just recently mulched, and I've been watering a lot, so I don't think it's that. I didn't use any fertilizer, but I did mix in a shovelful of compost when I planted each rhizome.

Check my Gallery and look at my hops. They are all first year, each rhizomes was only 2 inches. look at my mixure that I made of top soil\chiken sh&*\peat moss\grass clippings. If I were you i would get some miricle gro an see what happens. A little iron also wouldn't hurt. I put Iron fertilizer with micrnutrients, it will cover alot of soil defficiencies

Overwatering is not a good think.

Agreed. My first year Willammettes looked just like this after a few weeks. About a foot and a halt tall, then just started to "wilt". I stopped watering them, and it took 2-3 weeks, but eventually they got much better. My theory is that in the beginning, they grow, as plants should, when you give them water. But this stops the roots for venturing out to ffind water, keeping the root system small. At some point, the roots aren't advanced enough to get the necessary nutrients from the soil. I'd recommend stop watering, make the roots go find water. They will, and it will come back (that's what happened to me, at least).

Latest posts

Back