Milling Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just received my first mill and I am making a Rye PA. Any consideration in milling the rye? Should I adjust the mill for the rye or just run it through with the barley?

Thanks for your help.

When I did one I just ran it with the rest of the grains and the beer came out OK. I am sure others will chime in but I had no issue

Should just depend on the grain size - the mill is probably factory set for a conservative barley crush so as not to make the grist too fine. If the rye is about the same size I agree with everyone else - just run it through without adjustment.

I run it through my Barley Crusher at factory setting, same as for barley malt.

Just ran 5 lbs of rye malt through my LHBS mill. Asked if I should mill it, the guy said "how else are you going to get all the good stuff inside into your beer?"

I personally double mill my wheat and rye. Just run the grain bill through the mill without the wheat/rye, then put the rye through 2-3 times till I am satisfied with the crush (since there are no husks to worry about, I try to get it a fine as possible), and this way I don't have to keep readjusting the mill.

Rye is typically smaller than barley, so if it's just there for flavor, you will get some with a normal crush but if you want to get your $ worth out of it I'd double / triple mill rye or tighten your gap whichever seems to get you a good crush. I unknowingly ran rye through LHBS mill once with the rest of the grain mill and it was almost untouched. Now that I have a BC that's no longer a problem.

sorry to bring up an old thread (again), but what is the best gap setting for milling rye? I use .032 for my normal crush...but with the rye so much smaller, Id rather adjust the mill to a better gap, and mill it just once.....thanks!!

No idea what gap for rye, but I've heard some run a cheap corona burr type mill for rye and wheat.

My guess would be as tight as you can and still have it feed.

That's a tough little kernel!!!

Like they said in the old thread, double crush, maybe not the same as a tighter crush but less fiddlin around. Rare is the brew I don't add rye and if I don't double crush I don't seem to taste it as much. An .032 ought be good enough. I think that's about where I am set at. Rye is tough but not dried corn so most brew mills ought be able to handle it.

im thinking of adding both flaked rye as well as some crushed rye, and i dont want to entirely overpower the beer, but i want the rye to be there is disguise

For rye, wheat, and flaked goods, .024" here (thin, American Express junkmail CC). They always get milled separately from barley (0.032", regular credit card).

So most milling sessions I need to re-adjust the mill once for the other grain.

Back