Converting a Extract Reciepe to an All Grain Reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of Decembe
Hi,

I have this one reciepe that I use as the base for several of my beer styles. However, it is a recipe that calls for an extract and I think I would like to try to start brewing in All Grains. I was just wondering if someone could help me convert the Extract amount into the all grain amount? The only Extract I use is for the base grain, my recipe calles for 8 lbs of British Pale Malt Extract. How much of the All Grain Pale Malt would equal this amount? Any help will be appreciated.

I'm far from an expert, but my suggestion would be to use a program like Beersmith and replace your extract with grain. Adjust the amount until you see similiar color/bitterness/etc.

It'd at least give you a starting point to work from.

I started using this free spreadsheet from BYO and it works well. For this though you enter the target SG and it gives you an estimate for the grain bill based on your efficiency. I used it estimating a 68% efficiency and was 0.001 off. The web site has a good tutorial for how to use the spreadsheet.

I did some conventions of my old extract recipes with this spreadsheet and it came out to about 10lb of two row for 7lb extract.

But I think a lot has to do with the efficiency of the extraction process.

As Bsquared said, it depends to a great deal on your efficiency.

Assuming 60% efficiency, (a reasonable starting point for your first all grain brew), 8 lbs DME translates to about 16 lbs pale malt, or 8 lbs LME translates to 13 lbs pale malt.

I'd also keep some extract ready just in case you need to bump the gravity a bit. You will probably find that your efficiency increases as you get more used to the process, and you will be able to reduce the amount of grain.

Good luck,

-a.

Back