WLP007 at 70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Just curios what flavor profile to expect? I pitched at 63* and just let it free rise. Day 1 it rose to 64*. Throughout day to it rose to 70*, but there was an accelerated pace at the end of the day. In the AM today it was at 71*, but by after work it was back down to 70*. So my max was just over 70* and it's free falling now. Ambient is about 64-65*.

Any threads that talk about temp with WLP007 usually talk about a neutral or slightly estery profile in the mid-60s. But I haven't seen a description at the top of the range.

Cheers

Estery, fruity, tart-tangy, and at really high temps it reminds me of the flavor of plain greek yogurt. Yum! Personally, I can't stand the flavor of the whitbreads (1098,99, s04, wy007) even at low temps and it can get pretty foul when fermented warm. Although I am quite sensitive to the flavor.

70F is pretty high for this yeast, although so long as the bulk of early fermentation started at a low temp, I wouldn't worry too much. Chances are the beer will be fine.

I have brewed quite a few IPAs with 007 and those hops. You may get some flavor clashing between the fruity esters and the hops, but it should still make a nice beer. If you drastically underpitched you might see some fusels or diacetyl also, but it shouldn't be bad.

If you have a way to keep it up around 70, that would be best. English yeast can really drop out on you if allowed to cool during ferment. That would leave you with a fruity, underattenuated beer with lots of diacetyl.

I definitely didn't under pitch, it was a two step starter for this one. Can't recall the exact count, but it was a slight over pitch. I can temp control upwards, just not downwards. I hadn't considered keeping it up to that temp, because of the esters. It was down to 68* before work today. Should I put on the fermwrap to bump it up or to keep it up around the current temp?

I love using WLP 007 for IPAs. It attenuates well and it floccs out well. In fact, I've got a DIPA in the tank right now fermenting on it. If you keep the bulk of fermentation in a good temp range, it won't give you trouble. On this last one, I started at 66 then let it free rise to 70 after 5 days. Now I'm letting it hang out at 72 for a week to completely finish out. So far my samples contain no esters or anything fruity. It's a bit boozy, but OG was 1.096 so it's understandable.

Maybe I'll turn on the heat to stop the free fall; let it bounce around in the 68-70 range for another week before letting it fall back to ambient.

TAK, any update on how this turned out? I'm in a very similar situation, brewing a similar beer. I'm wondering if I should keep it at 66 or raise it back up to around 70.

Not sure yet, I haven't even cracked open the carboy yet. I did end up keeping the temp up around 69* for the rest of week 1. I slowly lowered it down to ambient during week 2. I'll give it another week before I rack onto dry hop. Another week after that before bottle. I'll let you know how the sample tasting goes, and in another month I'll let you know how the final product turned out.

I racked this onto dry hop yesterday. The sample tasted great. I would say it has a pretty clean profile, not estery at all. It attenuated great, down to 1.013.

Not particularly related to the yeast, but I've just got to say, this is hands-down the best beer I've made to date! FWH'ing is totally worth it in my book.

Back