Roasted malts, mash out adds and steeping with imperial stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker_on_Jack

Reaction score
I am looking to do my first RIS soon and have been reading a lot about mash out additions or steeping the roasted grains at room temp for a day and adding them at the boil. I understand the concept and am interested to try it but I am wondering if it something you would want to do when you want roasted, heavy chocolate, and coffee flavors in the RIS. Also, do people who employ these techniques adjust for lost sugars at all or do they land the same OG as they would having them in for the full mash?

Thanks, :mug:

I just tried this on an oatmeal stout. I added dark grains at mash out. It's only been in fermenter for five days. The wort going into the fermenter did not seem to taste as harsh and it still had a nice roasty flavor. I too am curious about the effect of the technique on the finished product. I'll be able to let you know in six weeks.

I just tried this on an oatmeal stout. I added dark grains at mash out. It's only been in fermenter for five days. The wort going into the fermenter did not seem to taste as harsh and it still had a nice roasty flavor. I too am curious about the effect of the technique on the finished product. I'll be able to let you know in six weeks.

Awesome, thanks for the data. Keep me updated.

I want to use Franco Belges Kiln Coffee roast in my RIS recipe and don't want to miss out on all the roasty coffee goodness.

Did you add at mash-out or steep?

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with this technique? I suspect that recipe adjustments could very well achieve what you're after.

Are you aiming for a dry and highly roasty RIS like Founders Breakfast Stout?
Are you aiming for a sweet, less roasted RIS like all of Southern Tiers imp stouts?

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with this technique? I suspect that recipe adjustments could very well achieve what you're after.

Are you aiming for a dry and highly roasty RIS like Founders Breakfast Stout?
Are you aiming for a sweet, less roasted RIS like all of Southern Tiers imp stouts?

Some where in between. I am looking for a large filling RIS. The grain bill is loosely based on some Darkness recipes I have found and adding in some coffee flavors, and changing the hops all together.

Back