Yeast Washing 1056 ale - yeast on bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jspoer

Reaction score
Cut to the chase... why does it look like my yeast is on the bottom of the growler as in the attached pic? is the milky lower layer the yeast?

background: So I harvested the 1056 yeast for the first time out of my amber beer last night after following the standard instructions I've seen on the Internet. I boiled water and boiled a growler plus a few mason jars and then cooled to refrigerator temperatures to match the cold temp of the cold crashed beer. I added the half the growler of cold water to the plastic bucket and swirled the contents to get the yeast back in suspension. I couldn't see the separation so I poured the majority of top contents into the growler. I got tired of waiting and so I put the growler in the fridge and thought I'd check it in the morning. Here is the results but what layer is the yeast that I want to pour off into the mason jars? It looks like the yeast is sitting on the bottom. Then what is the stuff on top? Thanks

-Jonathan

image.jpg

You need to swirl it around again before you decant. When washing yeast you should only wait 10-30 min before harvesting the liquid. The short rest allows for trub to settle but still leaves viable yeast cells in suspension.

Overnight, particularly at cool temperatures drops everything out of suspension. While there are some yeast still left in the top/left/amber portion you would be discarding many more that have already settled.

For a second I thought this was a carboy and you had pitched a gallon of used yeast! Yea it's the bottom layer that you want.

Something to try. Take your container out of the frig and let it warm to room temperature. Swirl it to put everything in suspension and let it settle at room temperature. I think you will see the trub settling to the bottom and the yeast forming a layer on top.

I just had the exact same problem as the picture in this thread. The yeast settled first and the trub on top. I've harvested several batches and never had this issue before??? Stirring it all back up and letting it drop does not solve the problem---only mixes it all togther more. What is the concensus regarding throwing in trub and yeast all together for a future batch?

Back