British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna give this one a try. Made some changes.

I swapped out the 2 row with Maris Otter, and added another .5 # of it.

Added .25 # of Special Roast in there to aid in the nutty roast flavor.

Kept it all the same, and plan to hit it with some Wyeast 1099 Whitbread instead of the Notty. Should fair a bit cleaner, but with a nice malty back bone.

Sounds pretty good I think, great base recipe. Will do it this weekend, and will report back on my BS numbers for those interested.

I'm gonna brew this for thanksgiving. That gives me 6 weeks. I think I'm gonna give it two weeks in the primary then bottle it. I'm sure I'll have a lot left over (only 2 or 3 beer drinkers) at what age have you guys found this to be in its prime?

Brewed this up today with my changes I made.. Planned for 70% eff, and got 75%. I mashed a weeee bit higher than planned as I didn't wait for my tun to lose some heat, so did it around 155 after some stirring.

1.062 OG.. Not sure where it'll finish at, but hopefully no more than 1.015 I think. Pitched some 1099 Whitbread on it. Wort looked pretty good going into the fermenter.

Patro said:
I'm gonna brew this for thanksgiving. That gives me 6 weeks. I think I'm gonna give it two weeks in the primary then bottle it. I'm sure I'll have a lot left over (only 2 or 3 beer drinkers) at what age have you guys found this to be in its prime?

It's in it's prime as soon as its carbed! I gave this beer my usual 2 week primary and 3 weeks in the bottle and its fantastic!

I cracked open my 1st bottle tonight and it is delish. Very impressed. I carbed it up to 2.3 volumes and it is perfect, head retention is outstanding. My batch came out at 5.1%. A great session beer that I will brew again and again. Thanks to OP for this recipe. Cheers.

My krausen has already dropped after 2 days at 67*... Very odd.. Still acting like it's fermenting, but was really quick I think, unless I have something odd going on.

Funny, in my quest to make a New Holland - Cabin Fever clone I made something very close to this brown recipe. I think it will be very similar, but with alot more body and creaminess. Scheduled brew date is nov 4th so i have some time to tweak it. What do you guys think?

30 gallon AG Recipe

40# 2 row - 69%
6# flaked oats - 10%
5# victory - 9%
3# caramunich - 5%
2# chocolate malt - 3%
2# crystal 60L - 3%

2oz Columbus at 60min
2oz US Northern Brewer at 15
1oz willamette at whirlpool

Target OG - 1.053 at 80% efficiency which we have been hitting 84% lately.
Target FG - 1.012

SRM-21
IBU-25
ABV-5.5%

I've been wanting to brew a nut brown (this one looks/sounds excellent) with cranberries for a couple months now, mainly for Thanksgiving-time. Would anyone have an idea of how many pounds I could use? I'm thinking 3 lbs, at this point, but I don't know if that's too much or too little since I've only used them in Wits before and not borderline dark-beers. I'm going to pulverize them and boil them for roughly 10 minutes in a just enough water to kill bacteria and wild yeast cells on their skins. I'll be adding them to the secondary and racking onto them. I have a 6.5 gal carboy, so that should handle the volume of beer + cranberry sludge. Please hit me up with your suggestions/opinions, cheers! :mug:

So mine start at 1.062, and finished at 1.018 with a bottle of maple syrup in there as well. I think it's still fermenting out a bit, I mashed mine around 155 or so, to get it a bit thicker, but didn't want it THAT high. I was in a hurry and didn't let the water cool before I added the grain. Not really mad with 18 points, but was looking for 15 or so.. We'll see how it tastes when it's carbed. Gonna toss another 8.5 oz of maple syrup in the keg and crash it all to get some nice maple, but might not considering the higher gravity finish there.

Tasted okay in the fermenter.. Gonna let it sit another week before I keg it and get it bottled up.

Gonna brew this tomorrow. Does anyone see a problem with swapping out the 2-row for vienna? I have a 50 lb sack and i wanna switch out the base grain.

Gonna brew this tomorrow. Does anyone see a problem with swapping out the 2-row for vienna? I have a 50 lb sack and i wanna switch out the base grain.

Should be okay. Will give you a bolder biscuity malt flavor. I think it would pair okay with it actually.

Great. Thanks. Sounds like what I'm trying to make anyways. Yum. Can't wait to start heating my strike water.

My krausen has already dropped after 2 days at 67*... Very odd.. Still acting like it's fermenting, but was really quick I think, unless I have something odd going on.

Another note for anyone using the Whitbread 1099 yeast;

It finished FAST at 65-67*. Flocc'd out unreal quick too. I didn't check the gravity before I added the maple syrup, all 8.5oz of it in the primary, but I think fermentation took back off. Didn't get any krausen or anything, but it bubbled still. Appears to be done at around 1.019/1.018 or so. Will check it again near the weekend.

I tried to swirl the carboy a bit, as I was moving it to clean the tub out, and noticed this yeast flocculated out so good ( or bad in some cases ) that it made a rubbery frisbee in the bottom of the carboy that wouldn't even swirl and break up. Pretty crazy.

Taste was good, but I'm gonna toss some more maple in the keg when I chill it, if I didn't pick any up in my last hydro sample. Will keg it and let it sit until I have room in the keezer for it!!

Just brewed this yesterday and made it a holiday beer.

Boiled up 2 tsp of cinnamon, .5 tsp nutmeg, .5 tsp ginger in 8 oz of water and added to the last 5 minutes of the boil. The last 2 minutes of the boil, I added a tsp on pure vanilla extract. It smelled wonderful!

Looking forward to reporting back around the holidays how this turned out. I'll be priming with brown sugar as well :)

Cheers!:mug:

RoKozak said:

Boiled up 2 tsp of cinnamon, .5 tsp nutmeg, .5 tsp ginger in 8 oz of water and added to the last 5 minutes of the boil. The last 2 minutes of the boil, I added a tsp on pure vanilla extract. It smelled wonderful!

Looking forward to reporting back around the holidays how this turned out. I'll be priming with brown sugar as well :)

Priming with brown sugar... I'm intrigued. Have you done this before and would it be the same weight if you were using corn sugar or table sugar?

Mine was due to be bottled yesterday but I discovered that it is infected. Damn!

Nice, I'm doing the same thing! But ill be steeping spices as a tea and adding slowly to the bottling bucket. Also will be priming with brown sugar. Good idea eh? :mug:

Priming with brown sugar... I'm intrigued. Have you done this before and would it be the same weight if you were using corn sugar or table sugar?

All your priming calculations can be done here!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I've never primed with brown sugar but some national craft brews have used it, particularly in pumpkin ales. Why not for the holidays? I've heard it could take a little more time to carb...but that it tastes lovely.

Your NBA recipe has been a favorite of the family. Lots of requests for more. Going to be cooking up my third batch of this one over the comming weekend.

ChrisN812

I try to come up with my own recipes for the most part, but I think this is going to be what I brew Sunday afternoon. Thanks!

FATC1TY said:
I'm gonna give this one a try. Made some changes.

I swapped out the 2 row with Maris Otter, and added another .5 # of it.

Added .25 # of Special Roast in there to aid in the nutty roast flavor.

Kept it all the same, and plan to hit it with some Wyeast 1099 Whitbread instead of the Notty. Should fair a bit cleaner, but with a nice malty back bone.

How did this turn out? I'm curious to see what differences there are from your changes to the original recipe on this thread!

Thanks and cheers!

I just bought the ingredients to brew this on Sunday. Switched to Maris Otter instead of Ameican 2-row and switched the yeast to S-04. Can't wait to give this one a try!

Outside of amazing, great, etc., can someone define the taste qualities of this recipe. I want to make it but I'd like to know what to expect of the finished beer. I'm sure all of that has been discussed in these zillion pages but I am growing old and time is of essence. :) Appreciate any feedback.

How did this turn out? I'm curious to see what differences there are from your changes to the original recipe on this thread!

Thanks and cheers!

I was super, super lazy, so I just got around to kegging this Friday evening.. I added 8.5oz of Grade B Maple syrup to the primary after fermentation looked to be slowing down. I let that sit around 3 weeks now? Somewhere around there.

I used the Whitbread yeast and man, that stuff flocc'd amazingly good. Sitting that long, it was a rubbery cake in the bottom that cleared really good.

Anyways.. Mine turned out okay I think. I'll post a pic and a tasting note mid week when it's carbed up. I tasted a bit after I kegged it, and the maple finish was nice, but I wanted more, so I added around 4 more oz to the keg while it cold crashed, that way the syrup won't ferment since it'll stay too cold. After that, it had a nice maple finish that was pretty light and clean, not cloying.

It looked good though, a bit lighter than I would have liked I think, so we'll see. It was pretty bready, biscuity, with a hint of roast in the body. Nice and light beer though, the maple should be nice for season me thinks!

Do you think substituting the 9# 2-row for 4.5# vienna and 4.5# MO would be ok? I really like this brew and wanted to experiment with these malts.

kroach01 said:
Do you think substituting the 9# 2-row for 4.5# vienna and 4.5# MO would be ok? I really like this brew and wanted to experiment with these malts.

Go for it. I brewed mine a couple weeks ago with all Maris as my base malt and its great so far. Don't see why partially using Vienna would give you anything but a good beer too. Cheers!

Go for it. I brewed mine a couple weeks ago with all Maris as my base malt and its great so far. Don't see why partially using Vienna would give you anything but a good beer too. Cheers!

Hey thanks! Good to hear the all MO came out well!
Would you recommend changing the proportions of vienna/MO?

Okay, so I tapped mine.

It taste okay. Not something I'd brew again I think. I'm wondering if was my yeast choice... Has a bit of a fruity nose to it that I'm not fond of for the style...

Taste okay though. Lighter than I wanted, but I could mash higher if I brewed it again.

Outside of amazing, great, etc., can someone define the taste qualities of this recipe. I want to make it but I'd like to know what to expect of the finished beer. I'm sure all of that has been discussed in these zillion pages but I am growing old and time is of essence. :) Appreciate any feedback.

I accidentally used 1/2 lb instead of 1/4 lb of chocolate malt, and used US-05 instead of Notty, so take my notes however you may:

Smells nutty, very slight fruit notes, and roasted. Like a good bread.

Taste is again, nutty, slightly fruity, and chocolatey. The chocolate is pretty apparent, in a good way. We carbed ours to 2.0 volumes, so I would have liked a bit more of a frothy mouthfeel, so if I were to do it again, I might add some more flaked oats.

Brewed this today for my companies xmas party. If our venue will not allow me to bring in additional alcohol then we will just have to have an after party! I added a bit of cinnamon/ginger to it the last few mins of the boil for my own little addition to this. I am debating adding a bit of vanilla to the 2ndary once it is ready. So far tastes amazing in raw form! OG came in at 1.056.

I just poured my first pint off the keg. Great heavens this beer is delicious. Definitely a new staple for the house.

[Edit] a buddy of mine just named this the "Jailbate Brown", as it is amazing at just 3 weeks old. Now to come up with a label. :mug:

I am considering adding some cinnimon sticks and vanila beans to my secondary to give this brew a xmas twist as well. How many of each and how long is recommended?

Just want to chime in my two cents. Pulled a sample of this after 2 weeks in the primary. Tasty brew! Do not hesitate to make this if you enjoy brown ales. This was probably my 10th BIAB and I consider it one of my best. Thanks for sharing the great recipe. Cannot wait to drink this after its been in the bottle.

This recipe is super! I had a couple cases out last night for a party, split between three different homebrews, this Nut Brown was gone in no time and despite there being plenty other beer everyone asked if I had any more Brown hidden away.

Thanks Lil Sparky and nice work Sir

Kegged last weekend and tapped today. All I can say is that I'm a believe. This is an outstanding recipe. I mashed at 154.5 and fermented with WLP 002 at 63-65f. OG was 1.054, finished at 1.018. Just sweet enough for the MO and crystal to come through. The EKG I finished with just shows up as the beer warms.

Great recipe. This one has earned a spot in my regular rotation

Back