help! i added priming sugar early, thoughts on adding more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsap

Reaction score
hey guys! thanks for all the help so far, i searched for an answer to this but came up no clear answer as it pertained to me, so here goes.

i prepped my pumpkin ale for bottling 3 days ago by racking it to my bottling bucket and adding the priming sugar. naturally, that's when i got the idea to add some spice aromatics (cinnamon and ginger), and so i did. i went away for the weekend, and bottled the beer last night without adding any more priming sugar. was that wrong?

my thoughts are this - in the 3 days that the beer sat on the spices, the yeast had a short time to metabolize some of the priming sugar with no pressure for carbonation (bucket had an airlock attached). should i of added more priming sugar? my fear was that i'd overcarbonate and/or create bottle bombs.

very curious to see what you think - i can't rule out one way or another. thanks :mug:

Unfortunately you have no idea of knowing how much of the priming sugar was already fermented over the weekend. My guess is that most if not all was already used up.

Three days may not matter much, the temp will play a role here, if it was still cool from being cold crashed or still in a cool place then the yeast most likely did not even wake up. So now that it is bottled and at 70F the yeast will wake and carbonate your brew just fine.

The yeast more then likely ate all the priming sugar in the bucket and you beer will not carb up now. To be safe wait 3 weeks and check to see if it carbed at all. If not you need to get carb drops open the bottles put them in and recap.

thanks for the feedback guys. so the safe move is (as always) to wait - would the right move have been to measure the gravity of the beer after adding the priming sugar to see if it had been converted? i don't think the priming sugar would throw off the gravity reading that much but at least i'd have something to go off of.

I don't think you'd be able to tell if the priming sugar had been fermented because a hydrometer isn't accurate enough to detect such a small change. Best bet is to bottle immediately after priming the beer.

Back