Cider Soaked Porkchops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolphus79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
mmm... Cider Soaked Chops...

not really a recipe persay, but I got a wild hair up my arse and decided to try something different... marinated some pork chops in some of Ed's Apfelwein for about an hour, then threw them on the grill with a dash of garlic powder & black pepper...

They were damn good! The cider was a very subtle background taste in every bite, and they came out nice and juicy... no pics, but I think I'll have to try this recipe again, and will try to remember to take some next time...

That sounds pretty good. I'm still waiting on my first batch of E/A to stop bubbling and clear. I definitely see it's clearing pretty well now, after 3+ weeks in the carboy, but I don't really think it'll be done at 4 weeks. I am dying to try some of it, and cooking with it will probably be great as well! I wonder how some nice sausages would be simmered in it would be, maybe something along the lines of a chicken sausage or the like?

I might try that. I did some quick chicken breasts on the Foreman grill last week to use in my lunches and just used a Hickory BBQ marinade mix and I added a cup or so of Apfelwein and a little hot sauce. The chicken came out tasting so much better than it had any right to given the "Grillmates" packet I was using and using my Foreman grill.

I bet Chicken sausages soaked in Apfelwein would come out great. I might try those pork chops sometime soon.

Anyone boil brats in Apfelwein before grilling?

hehe... I loves me my Foreman grill... that's what I used for the chops... I prefer some good ole campfire cooking, but it's great for the winter, when I can't play outside... ;)

I might try this tonight with some chicken breasts on the grill. Normally I'd be appalled at using alcohol to cook with but the AW is pretty cheap.

Adolphus79 said:
hehe... I loves me my Foreman grill... that's what I used for the chops... I prefer some good ole campfire cooking, but it's great for the winter, when I can't play outside... ;)

i shovel a path and dig out my grill in the winter :D

I made some last night and have another currently marinading in the same mixture. The Foreman grills are super convenient, I love mine.

I don't have a grill outside, I have a keyhole firepit with a grill on one side... that, and I'm not really interested in shovelling all the way back to the pond and then uncovering and digging out the whole firepit just for dinner... :drunk:

Apples and pork are a very classic and delicious combo.

For another variation, try marinating a pork tenderloin in cider for up to 4 hrs. Remove from the marinade and place in a baking/casserole dish. Add back about an inch of marinade into the pan, along with splash (1/4 cup) of white wine vinegar. Sprinkle the tenderloin with brown sugar just before putting it in the oven. I also like to roughly chop a couple of garlic cloves and some pearl onions and put those in around the pork too. Don't forget a pinch of salt and pepper.

Yummy!

Adolphus79 said:
I don't have a grill outside, I have a keyhole firepit with a grill on one side... that, and I'm not really interested in shovelling all the way back to the pond and then uncovering and digging out the whole firepit just for dinner... :drunk:

No Kids? Nephews? Sounds like great 8 year old slave labor work to me :p

eriktlupus said:
try cooking those chops indirectly with smoke apple or maple wood is awesome

Gotta go make me some Apfelwein

You know what's damned tasty? Using apple cider in your smoker.

I've got one of those smokers with water pan. I fill the thing with cider. Then fill the smoker up with chicken. Then smoke the food as normal.

OMG - Its so FG!!

I've never done pork-chops but I bet they would be pretty darned good too.

I just tried the AW with chicken breasts on the grill. I should have added some smoke chips but I didn't want to over power the apple flavor. The chicken held a decent amount of apple flavoring in the cooking with a couple bastes during cooking.

I'll definitely do this again but with a few modifications. I'll add some smoke, maybe some rosemary to offset the sweetness of the AW.

Back