Ice Cream Freezer for Kegerator??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobyhale

Reaction score
I have access to an unwanted Good Humor freezer. The kind with the glass sliding top. It'd be free, but would it be very possible to turn this into a kegerator? Anyone ever seen it done??

As long as it's deep enough for a corny and you have somewhere to run a gas and liquid lines to the outside, it should work. The difficulty would be finding the freon lines. It would seem to me that the walls are where all the cooling takes place.

Check the depth, so you'll know the cornies will fit. I've seen a vertical ice cream freezer converted.

Most commercial units have their condenser coils in the back of the unit, rather than in the walls. If that's the case, you can put the tap lines almost anywhere. If the unit has a sliding glass top, you could use party taps for the time being.

You could probably add height by removing the sliding top, adding a wooden collar, and then remounting the sliding top. I'd also tint the glass.. :D

If you get it for free and it doesn't work you could always sell it and buy one that will, i am sure you could get a couple of bucks for it anyway.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back