Dark Cherry Stout kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I just ordered a Dark Cherry Stout extract kit from Northern Brewer. I've never had a cherry beer before, so I picked up some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and tried one last night. It wasn't very good at all, and the cherry almost made it taste like cough syrup.

I'm wondering if the kit I bought is going to taste similar, or whether I should possible reduce the amount of cherry extract in it. I have a feeling that being a stout instead of a wheat may help, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any experience with this kit or a similar brew?

Yeah the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is not very good, I just can not stand the fake cherry taste/smell

in the Stout it might not be as bad

you could always use less extract or none at all

Try to find a commercial cherry stout like Bell's Cherry Stout. It has a much different character than a cherry wheat.

Cheers!

Cherry Stout and Cherry Wheat are two different animals. The Kit probably has a canned extract, so you can add it at the end of fermentation, just add a little and taste, add a little more, until you like it. or you could use a dropper and add a few drops to each glass when you drink it, so you can have a Stout Or a cherry bomb in every glass.

Fruit in beers; one of my favorite flavor addition. For my own beers, I make it a rule to never, and I mean NEVER use those fake fruit flavors. They always taste and smell fake. I use real fruit, that I pasturize myself, and my beers come out fantastic. Most people can't even put a finger on what is making the beer taste so darn good.

Example: I made a few batches of my now most popular Who Knows, Honey? Apricot IPA, this past summer. Everyone loves it, and when I don't tell them the name 1st, they never suspect apricots, though I use 3 lbs of fresh apricots in the recipe.

If I were you, I'd make the recipe you have, but go out and get a basic ole stout kit as well, and if you're lucky enough to find cherries this time of year... score, try it out with the real fruit too.

OR...

The canned fruit company OREGON makes good sterilized fruits that will work well too. Just go easy on the canned stuff (1-2 cans TOPS in a 5 gallon) as it tends to be more potent.

Last year, I made an apple-cinnamon ale, with fresh apples. I just cut them up and let them sit in the pot while I boiled. It turned out pretty good, but I was curious. So I made another batch, exact same recipe, and added the apple flavoring instead of apples. I thought the second batch was better. I'm still drinking it 1 year later...

But overall, I agree. I'm usually not a fan of the bottled stuff.

I also agree with kegerator. Wheat beers already have a fruity flavor. Your cherry stout will taste completely different.

This sounds like something I would like to try playing around with. About how long are you boiling the fruits? My first experimentation turned out succesful....I added some honey to a batch I bottled tonight...uncarbonated it tasted amazing.

I made a Cherry Wheat once by using the OREGON canned fruit. The flavor was really nice.

I have also done a Double Chocolate Stout in the past. In the future I will do another DC Stout and add a 3 lb can of the OREGON cherry to the secondary, making a marvelous Double Chocolate Cherry Stout :ban:

made a cherry stout from northern brewer.i love them as my supplier,but they use a cherry extract.only used half the amount suggested when bottleing.sorry to say i dumped it down the drain,tasted like cough medicine.but hey thats my opinion.to be on the safe side only bottle half of your brew so as you wont have to throw it out .remember youll have the other as a stout which was excellent.
good luck

Latest posts

Back