Strange leftover brew, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanannan

Reaction score
So, I wanted to set a beer to brewing before I go to another city over the holidays. However I had almost nothing at home.

What I had was
Pale chocholate malt
Carapale crystal malt
A little smoked malt

No base malt whatsoever

I also had quite alot of hops and some frozen berries I picked last summer.

Thinking, oh well, this is really going to be a poor mans brew (I'm a student) I decided to base this brew on the Carapale which I had almost 2 kgs of and use a 3rd gen wild yeast I captured a while ago and see if it is able to eat the complex sugars, and if that fails, buy some brettanomyces when I get back after new years and add that.

Final recipe:
About 2 kgs of Carapale
0.4 kg of smoked malt (local product, much smokier than the Bamberg malts)
0.2 kg of pale chocholate malt

about 0.5 kg of homemade raspberry/bluberry jam
one banana (frozen)
a few elderberries and blackcurrants I had in the freezer

Lots and lots of hops used once already for taste/aroma for bittering. 3 oz or so somewhat old Saaz for aroma/taste.

3rd gen. wild yeast

I doubt this will be anything spectacular. But it might be, who knows ;) .

Yea, I'm leaving it alone until next winter.

It actually looks and smells OK. The sacc chewed through the simple sugars pretty quick and then fell down to the bottom. I took that out (lots of berry husks and such in it that I didn't want to leave in), figure the complex crystal malts is enough for the lambicus.

+ its a india fruit rauchlambic, obviously :p .

Latest posts

Back