help with recipe ideas with limited hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoughtsonhops

Reaction score
So I want to brew a beer with only the hops I grew myself. There are a couple problems. First, for whatever reason, I only got ~1oz Chinook and ~0.8oz Centennial. Second, I would like the beer to be something autumn-like.

I was thinking an Oatmeal Pale Ale, 'cause I had Fort George's Sunrise OPA. And I really liked it. Also I was playing with the idea of a Rye Pale Ale, I've never had a Rye beer, but I'd imagine it to be kinda piney, although I've heard they're great summer beers. I was also thinking of a red/amber just cause I have limited hops.

I kinda want to stay away from pumpkin type beers, I like them, but not five gallons worth.

So any suggestions for something I haven't thought of or on what I have thought of? (and as the sub-form suggests, extract)

Thanks!

are those hop weights wet or dry? you'll need about 5 times as much wet vs dry. in any case, I wouldn't waste your fresh hops bittering with them if thats all you have.

how about a marzen with the fresh hops thrown in at flameout? its not exactly to style, but its autumny and a good use of the hops

Scottish Ales don't use much hops, because Scots can't grow hops. The only problem is you'd have to let it condition for a while, and if you wanted to taste your hops (to see if they're good) you won't taste them much.

These are dried hops. Thanks for the suggestion for the marzen. I'll look into it. Still I'm leaning towards something with only homegrown hops. It should be about a $20 batch if beer, so no huge loss.

Since I'm not positive about the AA% any chance I would have a too sweet or too bitter beer? The hops smelt good, and the Lupulin looked about right.

Back