Warning! Keggle owners please read!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first video is a dead link, and the second one was removed by YouTube...anyone still have a link so I can watch it?

When I first saw this I had doubt But I always said doubt is OK but also keep an open mind. I saw the clip before Northern brewer put out there warning.

I have saw my fair share of the bottoms of kegs and up to this day never saw one without holes in the bottom rim. Until today I had a brewer bring this keg over for some tig welding and other work. When I turn it over I noticed right way no hole's in the bottom rim and none in the top rim.
What really floored me was when I saw this heavy weld 360 degrees around the inside of the bottom rim. Here are a couple of pictures taken with a mirror. Now I do a fair amount of tig welding but this is one mean bead around the inside machine layed .

MVC-057S-1.jpg

MVC-056S-1.jpg

I think the purpose was to reinforce the bottom rim so it would stand up to repeated dropping off the truck.

I do know this is a sealed vessel that could turn into a real bad bomb when heat is applied if there is any moisture inside.

OK no doubt now. It only takes one and this is one out of a truck load.

God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

100_3233.jpg

I have 4 holes drilled in the rolled rim as you can see, as well as 4 drain water slots I'll call them.

I got this keg from Sabco. I have a 1-year old and safety is top priority. This is adequate drilling correct?

Wow. Scary. I'm looking into making a three keggle system so I'll definitely be looking out for this kind of stuff. Friend of mine is a machinist so luckily I'll be able to have him do any kind of mods to it. Thanks for the info.

Wow, I am so glad someone finally posted a picture of the "holes" that the keggle is supposed to have. I have been using mine for awhile and always thought they were referring to the four large holes where the skirt meets the keg body (not sure if that makes sense). Glad I know that it's referring to the holes in the rolled rim. I'll make sure to drill some in top and bottom just in case.

I thought the same thing yeast_infection. My keg has holes in the wall below the vessel, I thought these were the holes in question.... I'm gonna drill some holes in that rim now.

100_3233.jpg

I have 4 holes drilled in the rolled rim as you can see, as well as 4 drain water slots I'll call them.

I got this keg from Sabco. I have a 1-year old and safety is top priority. This is adequate drilling correct?

this is what mine looks like, same question. Do I need to drill bigger holes or are these sufficient, and if it doesnt have drain slots on the bottom is this a problem?

this is what mine looks like, same question. Do I need to drill bigger holes or are these sufficient, and if it doesnt have drain slots on the bottom is this a problem?

Holes size looks right, keep them clear and you should have a least three or four just to be on the safe side.

God Bless
Swagman

So the video links are down, I'm getting partial explainations from other posts. What exactly is going on? The rolled bottom lip of the keg needs holes drilled to relieve pressure from when it's on a flame?

Apparently if those rolled lips are not vented, you create a massive build up of pressure from heating and whether that be from gas, water, or just air i'm not sure. I would just make sure they have holes drilled in them to be safe. Not to mention a keggle full of boiling wort being tipped on the ground is a sad, sad situation I never want to be in.

By the way...Nice avatar!! A young Jerry and a great photo. I have a NRPS album with photos of Jerry in it when he was in that band and he is really young. Love it!!

I had a welder put saw cuts into the rolled lip on the bottom of my keggle so it sits further down on my bayou classic burner. Thank god I got some ventilation there, cuz that burner is hardcore intense. Glad I read this. Phew!

Latest posts

Back