Tips On Dry-Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjopicker16

Reaction score
So, I re-used some bad yeast on a second batch (I didnt know it was bad til after the fact) of beer. This yeast was conatiminated by wild yeast and had the marker/hospital phenols associated with it. By the time my second batch hit secondary, I knew I had to cover up the infection... with dry hopping Cascade.

Just a tip, 1 oz. dry hopping will be fine. The beer is great! And I definitely dont notice any conatimination, but I dry-hopped with 2 oz. Using this much has created unnecessary problems.

1) Using this much dry-hop has given me too much tannin (I know this happens with dry-hops, but this can be avoided at this level.)

2) It probably soaked a lot of beer.

3)I spent an hour, plus about a pitcher of beer trying to get my kegs "un-clogged" with dry-hops which, somehow miraculously, got transfered from the secondary.

Lesson, 1 oz. dry-hop is enough.

Although, I must say, my beer is great with a WONDERFUl citrus/grapefruit aroma.

well, I just tossed in 2 oz of cascade into my secondary..although mine is an IPA so it should be hoppy...plus I love an IPA that kind of knocks your socks off as soon as you take a whiff:D

Dan

I always do 2 oz with pale ale's and IPA's and have never had a problem (other than soaking up twice as much beer...)

If you dry-hop in kegs, either use bags or put a strainer on the takeup pipe. You can buy them, but a piece of SS braid will do the job.

No, I dont dry hop in kegs, just secondary fermenter. Oh man, does it smell great, but Im tired of eating hops :)

banjopicker16 said:
No, I dont dry hop in kegs, just secondary fermenter. Oh man, does it smell great, but Im tired of eating hops :)

How are you moving it out of secondary? I've never noticed any make it to the kegs. I dry hop in secondary with whole hops and they just float on the top. I use an autosiphon, or if I'm in a bucket, the spigot. I just suck out from under the hops and stop when the hops get down to the drain level.

banjopicker16 said:
1) Using this much dry-hop has given me too much tannin (I know this happens with dry-hops, but this can be avoided at this level.)

I think you can get a grassy effect if you dry hop too long. I think about 2 weeks is the limit.

Hopefully your dry hopping can cover up the problem until your batch is gone or keep whatever it was at bay until its gone. I had a batch of kolsch that seem to worsen with time. The good thing was I was the only one who could tell this. Me being overly critical? I don't know...

:mug:

Back