Mad Elf Inspired: Tertiary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All,

Use the following for grains, mash at 148 for 90 minutes:
1.75lb Munich, 1.75lb Pale 6-Row, .75lb Pilsner, .15lb Chocolate

Use the following for malt extract:
4lb Amber LME, 4lb Munich LME, 1.25lb Corn Sugar

Bittered with Styrian and Fuggles
Flavor Hops: Styrian at 30 and Saaz at 15.
Aroma Hop: Saaz at 2min

At flameout added: 1tbsp Vanilla Extract, 1tsp almond extract, 4gram bitter orange peel, 4 gram crushed corriander seeds

Use the following for yeast:
3 yeast blend of harvested and washed yeast from previous batches [Wit, Ardennes, Trappist High Gravity] all in a 3L starter.

Allowed to ferment at 68F and work up to 75F and ferment out for about 10 days until it started winding down.

Then added 2.5lb of clover honey steeped in 200F water. Allowed that to ferment out for 2 weeks.

Then racked to secondary and added 3.5lb tart cherries and 2lb sweet cherries. Allowed that to sit for 1 month then racked to tertiary.

Total calculated OG: 1.110
Gravity at racking to tertiary 1.007 (wow on how low it got)

Taste at tertiary is very, very good. A little warm on the alcohol - but I think that will mellow. Plus it is ~13.6%.

Now onto my question...

It is in tertiary in the cellar at 57-60F. Is this a problem? Need it be warmer? I dont think it will *harm* the beer... but is it going to help it age if its that cold?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks.
So even though it is out of the yeasts usual range for temp, its ok?
If the yeast go dormant, what is happening as its "cellared" and what is a good length of time to cellar for?

Thanks.
So even though it is out of the yeasts usual range for temp, its ok?
If the yeast go dormant, what is happening as its "cellared" and what is a good length of time to cellar for?

Yes, if you bottle you may need to add yeast to achieve proper carbonation(lots of threads on this topic). I keg so it's not a problem for me.
Length of time all depends on the beer and your taste. Some 6 months, others a year+.

Yah. I know the adding yeast at bottling gig. I am more focused on the effects (or lack thereof) of 55-60F temps in the tertiary.

Also, the length of time to cellar.

It looks like it is measured in years (1/2 year, 1 year) etc.

Thanks for the replies W.W.

Back