Cascade Golden Promise SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
I did a Simcoe Golden Promise SMaSH here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/simcoe-golden-promise-smash-138222/index2.html

Now I am going to do a Cascade version so I can do a side-by-side comparison. I originally thought I would use Centennial but the wife voted for Cascade after some of the great fresh hop beers we have had lately that used Cascade hops exclusively.

I bumped up the volume slightly because I had to use more Cascade hops to get the same IBU rating as the other SMaSH (50 IBU), and in my system more hops equals less beer.

Here's the plan:

7 gallon batch

17.25 lbs Simpson's Golden Promise (Toast 1 pound for 30 minutes @ 350 and 1 pound for an hour @ 350)

2.00oz Cascade @ 60 minutes
1.25oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
1.25oz Cascade @ 15 minutes
1.25oz Cascade @ 10 minutes
1.25oz Cascade @ 05 minutes
0.50oz Cascade @ 00 minutes
1.00oz Cascade dry hop 7 days

White Labs California Ale Yeast 001

Mash: 154 for 60 minutes

OG 1.074
FG 1.016

ABV: 7.5%
IBU: 50.8

:mug:

Wow- that looks great! Make sure you keep us posted- I LOVE Golden Promise, and cascade hops are abundant at my house, so I might have to make this!

I brewed this tonight. I missed my final gravity slightly and ended with a little extra volume. Just needed a little more vigorous of a boil. My punishment will be to drink an extra pint or two. A super easy brew night, watching baseball and drinking my two fresh hop beers. :mug:

I really want to try some golden promise. I'll probably have to try something like this some time. Let us know how it goes.

I started cold crashing tuesday night. Will probably keg it tonight. There is a Simcoe Golden Promise SMaSH ahead of it right now that is really drinking nicely. It will be interesting to compare the two.

I about to do two identical Amarillo SMaSH's, one with MO and another with Golden Promise. I've never used GP before, and I'm really looking forward to these brews.

Incidentally, final two extract brews (before going AG) back in Spring, I did two identical IPA's with 6 oz. Cascade hops in each. I can't tell you how sick I am of these beers now! I hope I didn't ruin Cascades for myself forever!

I about to do two identical Amarillo SMaSH's, one with MO and another with Golden Promise. I've never used GP before, and I'm really looking forward to these brews.

I don't think you're going to notice a huge difference there, unless you go with a really low ibu and go light on the flavor, aroma and dry hops.

Then you'll be sick of Amarillo! :cross:

This turned out good, and I am sure it will be enjoyed and consumed by the masses.

That being said, I have to admit that I liked the Simcoe Golden Promise smash better than the Cascade.

I guess I just realized I am not a huge fan of Cascade hops all by themselves. I like the more citrusy, woody, floral flavors and smells.

The Cascade is very dry and clean, but not very pungent like Simcoe or Ammarillo or some of the other "C" hops.

I brewed up a batch of this in January and bottled last week. My wife is anxious to try it this weekend, but judging by the sample at bottling it should be fantastic.

Wouldn't mind trying this with Centennial. Usually prefer that over Cascade, but a hop farmer friend of mine gave me a 1/2# bag and I just couldn't refuse to use it up on this recipe. :)

I have made several Golden Promise @ Cascade SMaSH recipes and I find that when I put 1 to 2 pounds of grain in the oven at like 350 degress for 30-60 minutes I get a whole new kinda single malt scotch effect in the finished product. I can say that the Bitter Promise is definately one of my favorite recipes...

Yellow 70 cooper

Back