hop flavor/aroma retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joos

Reaction score
Does anyone know any "tricks" to making the hops last in a very hoppy beer?I love IIPAs and when I make them they are spectacular for about 3 weeks.Then it's just not the same afterwards.I know most beers get better with age,but these just don't seem to follow that rule.So any ideas?preferably tested/proven methods?

'Tis the way of IPA... The flavor sweet spot only last for about 3-5 weeks on many highly hopped beers. They are better fresh. Keep the beer cold is about all I can suggest.

I think thats my main problem.I don't have the room to cold condition(all in bottles).Maybe I'll just have to piss off the SWMBO and put 50 beers in the fridge next batch:rockin:

Hop extracts won't help, AX. Hop oil concentrates (which are not stable, but can be refrigerated) can be added before consumption, but it really isn't the same.

Maybe O2 absorbing caps???? I'm sure this has been tried before and does not work because I know it's a common problem. Just shooting from the hip.

I support the idea of keeping them cold but I too cannot do this.

Back