What OS are you currently using

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What OS are you using right now?

• Linux/UNIX

• Windows

• Mac OS

• Other (BSD,Solaris, etc...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm using Ubuntu. I love it. Windows will never see my business again. Mac just seems like it is turning into the new windows with all of their resistance to open source.

Windows here. I've never tried Linux because I usually buy a Dell system. I don't think you can get one without Windows yet.

Windows, because I booted into it to do work stuff.

But most of the time, Ubuntu

The computer I'm using is a multi-boot system with:

Linux Mint (primary - everyday use)
Gentoo Linux
OpenSolaris
FreeBSD
Linux from Scratch

SWMBO's laptop has Vista and Linux Mint installed. She's slowly but surely becoming an (anything but Windows) convert as well!

I voted Linux.

XP and Vista. One came with XP when I bought it, the other I was forced to buy and was forced to use Vista on (school "conveniently" accepted the EULA for me). I tried to install Knoppix on a Dell once and it melted. Other builds of Linux either look like trash, or I can't figure out for whatever reason.

my computer is dual boot with mint and ubuntu. but my wife has a windows desktop and a mac laptop. We've got all three covered!

Windows XP. It sucks but I don't have the time to learn Linux or the time to train SWMBO. It'd be like ripping a 305 out of a '78 Nova and replacing it with a 3.2L from a 2008 Japanese sedan. :drunk:

I use CentOS at work (RedHat Enterprise Linux clone) and unfortunately XP at home.
At work I like that all my EDA tools targeted at RHEL work without a problem on CentOS.
At home my wife has enough difficulty understanding windows, I don't want to confuse her more by using a different OS than she uses at work. If I had my own computer it would run a Linux version.

Craig

pc games are not designed for linux or the others right?

windows is all i've used since i mostly game on this pc.

Mac OS10.5.5 or Leopard.

I use XP at work when I have to do work related things. Otherwise I'm on my macbook.

Been using Macs at home since 1990. Use windows and macs at work but the windows machine seem to always be having problems.

CentOS 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 #1 SMP geek! geek! I've been using a form of Unix (starting with Xenix) on my desktop for over 20 years.

I also have a NT and a 2000 laptop, but those are strictly for testing. I also use OpenOffice/Firefox on the NT box.

On my laptop I am dual booting Linux Mint & Vista Home Premium and on my desktop I am running XP Pro Corporate since it si mostly a gaming machine.

Most of my surfing a general computer use is done on Linux though.

Windows. Always have and always will. I dont have nearly as many problems with it as I have had with Linux in the past.

I am surprised that there is more Linux than Mac though.

dual book with Leopard and XP. though I never use XP. I have it just in case there is something I absolutely have to run and it isn't supported on macs

I am very surprised at the number of GNU/Linux people on this forum. I guess the "homebrew" mentality spills into the computer realm as well.

i use XP pro 64 bit edition for every thing all my computers at home and all the computers here at the 911 center

its is the best OS ever made by MS.
it is rock solid works hard , and games really well
XP64 FTW big power, no vista crap

I am surprised that there is more Linux than Mac though.

Just think of Linux as MacOS without the fanboy tax. Both are based on Unix and generally use Unix compliant API's. Mac's just come with a larger price tag and a fancy looking box.

Just think of Linux as MacOS without the fanboy tax. Both are based on Unix and generally use Unix compliant API's. Mac's just come with a larger price tag and a fancy looking box.

Mac OSX is based on BSD, not GNU/Linux. Even though they totally ripped off GNOME for the GUI, added some flashy graphics, and re-branded it.

I have Vista on the desktop, and XP on the laptop. I think I'm going to partition the laptop in the near future, though so I can play around with some kind of Linux stuff type deal. Ya, that's some technical jargon I just dropped on you.

Fedora primary system. My Dell came with Vista, booted it up, registered Vista, shutdown the system and installed linux, Maybe I should boot up vista one of these days to install all the updates.
I do use M$ at work, but I mostly admin HP-UX systems.

Ubuntu here. I converted SWMBO a few years ago also. There is one dual boot in the house for those rare apps that don't play nice with wine.

I love that beer smith does everything but the print preview in wine.

I wonder if the higher than expected percentage of linux users here is accurate. There are plenty of people who use wondows who aren't "coputer people". they most likely would ignore a thread like this. OTOH, I saw it, and immediatley thought "the options better not be xp or vista only" :)

Back