First Timer, Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbaxter

Reaction score
The directions that came with my kit states to lower the temperature of the wort to between 70-75 degrees, add the wort to the fermentation bucket, and pitch the yeast. I read somewhere (I don't remember where now) that the wort's temperature should not be lowered to the yeast's recommended fermentation temperature of 65-70 (WLP005 British Ale Yeast) until some fermentation activity has started. Does this sound right? If so, how long should I wait and what constitutes fermentation activity? Thanks in advance.

not sure about optimum temps but I know if your chilling under 75 before pitching your not going to hurt anything. Now fermenting at 75, thats a different story depending on the style your brewing. I personally chill my beer to fermenting temps which is 68 for me since thats as cold as I can get down to right now.

I'd consider fermentation activity to be a visible change to the surface of the wort, along with possible airlock activity depending on what style fermenter your using

I usually pitch at- or close to my fermentation temp. The room is at 68F-70F, that ultimately governs my fermentation temp (which will be slightly higher than room temp due to heat generation). You really don't need worry about it too much. It's not something that's going to either save or wreck your beer. Try not to pitch hotter than the recommended 75F.

The important thing about pitching temperature is that it is low *enough*, not that it is *too* low. :D

After that, the important thing is fermentation temp, and assuming it is 7-10 degrees hotter than room temp, making sure that it is still within the range. Search for "swamp cooler" threads to learn more about ferm temps.

I usually pitch at- or close to my fermentation temp. The room is at 68F-70F, that ultimately governs my fermentation temp (which will be slightly higher than room temp due to heat generation). You really don't need worry about it too much. It's not something that's going to either save or wreck your beer. Try not to pitch hotter than the recommended 75F.

You hit it on the dot. The biggest thing i think is to get your wort cooled down to fermentation temps as fast as you can. Second try to have the yeast your pitching close to the same temp that your wort is so you dont shock the yeast.

Latest posts

Back