First all grain under my belt (with assistance)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyXDead

Reaction score
So after multiple homebrews over the years using pre-made wort, i finally took the plunge and learned the all grain method. I went to my LHBS and with their assistance and equipment we produced a beautiful Leffe Blonde clone. A lot of the work was done by myself (milling grains, all weight measurements, mashing) but of course i wasn't using my own equipment.

I noticed for the mash tun the brew master was using an igloo cooler (with false bottom?). I figured this meant a removable bottom. I couldn't see anything representing a false bottom though. Instead it was a valve connected to long mesh tube looking piece. Is this the same thing as a false bottom? The setup looked very easy to set up and i'm very interested in doing the same thing.

The brewing process was fun and am very eager to start at home. Has anybody used the same method with the igloo cooler connected to a long mesh hose? I'm thinking it has to be pretty economical, and it worked really well. The wort was a bright golden colour and smelt delicious.

Recipe:
6kg - 2-row
6kg - Pils
1.5kg - Munich
750g - Victory

80g - Fuggles hops (boiled for an hour)
40g - Saaz (boiled 1/2 hour)

s-33 Yeast

Expected OG - 1.050
True OG - 1.040

The cooler is one of the more popular mash tuns for homebrewers. It's cheap, and extremely easy to assemble on your own. I built mine for under 100 USD and I get around 80% efficiency and it maintains the mash temp. extremely well. Also, what you described is exactly what a false bottom is. I use a bazooka screen, but I started with a mesh hose that you can get from a local hardware store.

Congrats on your first AG adventure!

I too have converted a 10 gal. Igloo cooler to a MLT. And I use the mesh hose. 3' IIRC.

6 brews so far and no problems with the equipment. Me on the other hand is a little harder to get to perfection.:p

pb

Thanks for the replies! I am looking forward too making one of these igloo MLTs. I have a red and blue one in my basement just begging to be converted. All i need are parts and i will be good to go!

Make sure that if you go to your Home Depot/ Lowes/ whatever to buy your mesh hose that the supply line hose you buy is stainless steel. They sell cheaper ones that are coated with polymers or not stainless. It's only a couple bucks difference but stainless steel won't leach into your wort.

Back