Scored a Free Keg...Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
A former homebrewer and his wife frequent the same bar as me, and we have become acquaintances. One night a month or so ago, we a were having a conversation about homebrewing, and he said he would give me a keg as he's getting older and wants to give it to someone who will put it to good use. Nothing has happened since then, and I am not one to bug anyone over something like that, but last night he brought it in!

He claims it's a 10 gallon keg, and I will definitely put it to good use! It couldn't come a better time, as me and the wifey just bought a new house and are now the proud owners of four refrigerators...I now have every excuse to start a kegerator project in my near future. What would I need to complete the kegerator setup? Co2 tank, hoses, regulator, tap? Also, could I go ahead and by the items for two taps, and add the second keg at a later date?

Thanks for the help!

IMG_1884.jpg

yep that looks like a 10 gallon keg.. good score! i would suggest to get a keg conversion kit which you can use for two kegs.. just be sure to measure the potential fridge/freezer so you can fit both of them in there..

any of the supply companies will have all of the products you need.. regulator (double for different pressures or just a single with a tee), both co2 and beer lines, looks like ball lock disconnects (don't quote me though), and and a tap of some sort

Thanks for the response krenshaw. I'm thinking about getting the 2 faucet kegerator kit from Keg Connection. Can I use this guy for 5 gallon batches, or will all the headspace waste Co2?

image.jpg

Thanks for the response krenshaw. I'm thinking about getting the 2 faucet kegerator kit from Keg Connection. Can I use this guy for 5 gallon batches, or will all the headspace waste Co2?

Yes to keg connection (great company), yes you can use it for 5 gallon batches but you will be wasting a whole lot of CO2 (especially since you'll be filling the headspace with 20-30 psi initially to help seal the lid). If you aren't brewing 10 gallon batches, you can maybe get it filled at a local brewery or brewpub...

10 gallon kegs usually go for a nice buck. Id sell it and use the money to buy a few 5 gallons

^ was going to say this same thing.

I'd sell it and buy everything in one batch from Keg connection, kegs, lines etc. that way you can do your 5 gal batches and not waste all your co2 filling up headspace :mug:

You got a free keg, and you say-- "Now What?"

If you don't know, you better send it to me. :)

Air is a terrible thing to store in a keg!

Congrats on the free keg! I was given a couple 5 gallon ones few years ago by an old timer. Someday when I'm old, I'll pass them on to the next generation of brewers.

You got a free keg, and you say-- "Now What?"

If you don't know, you better send it to me. :)

Air is a terrible thing to store in a keg!.

I know, right? I just wanted to get thoughts/ideas as I am new to kegging. I am thinking of fermenting 10 gal. batches in this guy, then transferring into my (2) 5 gal secondaries, and finally putting the beer back in this guy.

I would rather not sell this, as it was a gift from a fellow homebrewer, and he could have easily sold it himself. Plus, I am thinking of holding onto it as I am finding these 10 gals aren't as readily available.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I figured I would waste a lot of Co2 if I only put 5 gal in it.

Sounds like a plan! Never sell that badboy. When you go, be buried with it, you CAN take it with you. Good luck and enjoy.

Back