What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1258740692.jpg

Lakewalk pale ale. Simcoe city.

This has been in the bottom of the beer fridge for about two years. Definitely better than when it was young.

image-253693858.jpg

Trafalgar cognac aged porter, Mill st. Cobblestone Stout and Innis and Gunn oak aged spice rum finished ale.

The porter was unusually light tasting and I had a hard time picking up the influences of the cognac cask. The cobblestone stout was a great coffee-chocolate taste, but I think I liked it better off the tap. That oak aged ale is delicious, but at $5 a bottle it's a pain in the ass to get, even for a seasonal beer. At least I'm pretty sure it's seasonal.

nukebrewer said:
I've been on a beer journey around Houston today. Went to Buffalo Bayou Brewing with my brother and good friend growing up. I had the 1836, Gingerbread Stout and More Cowbell DIPA. All were great beers, but the Gingerbread Stout was the winner for me. Then we made an impromptu trip over to Saint Arnold where I had Santo Black Kolsh, Icon Belgian IPA, Elissa IPA, Brown Ale and Endeavor IPA. My favorite was the Endeavor. Soooo yummy! Then my brother and I went to downtown liquor store (Spec's) that has an awesome selection to pick up a few brews. Didn't get pictures of any of them because I was busy catching up with my friend, but you'll see pictures of the beers I picked up at Spec's. I didn't get that much because the place was packed and the parking process had already pissed me of so I kinda just wanted to get out of there. I'm going to go back on Wednesday to get the beers I set out to get while I am down here.

Looks like you hit the town well today. Downtown specs I expect to be packed because its probably close Christmas eve and day. So it was the last day. Did you see the $250,000 collection of whiskey? Lol. Wednesday it'll be less pack. If your in the area check out D&Q. It's a gas station with a great selection of brews.

Looks like you hit the town well today. Downtown specs I expect to be packed because its probably close Christmas eve and day. So it was the last day. Did you see the $250,000 collection of whiskey? Lol. Wednesday it'll be less pack. If your in the area check out D&Q. It's a gas station with a great selection of brews.

Yeah they were packed which is why the parking pissed me off and then I was trying to navigate the mass of people just to get the beer section. Needless to say I didn't see the whiskey collection. I'll see if I can find D&Q and check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now that I have time to take it easy I have a pic of my current beverage. It's WesleyS's black IPA and it's pretty good. :)

20121222_205926.jpg

It's ok.. As stated before, IPAs must be grand to get a nod anymore. They got the malt profile right which isn't hard, but the hops are pretty subdued for 100IBU.

image-866611970.jpg

Finished my four skull splitters. Now time for a rouge dead guy ale. Lets throw my taste buds a kick in the balls whilest test the heat retention in my cooler mash tun conversion

It's ok.. As stated before, IPAs must be grand to get a nod anymore. They got the malt profile right which isn't hard, but the hops are pretty subdued for 100IBU.

I'm a fan of that one, but it needs to warm up some to really shine. Enjoying my CA Common while making some Christmas cookies.

ForumRunner_20121222_202627.jpg

OClairBrew said:
I'm a fan of that one, but it needs to warm up some to really shine. Enjoying my CA Common while making some Christmas cookies.

That's what it's doing right now.. It is actually getting a little tastier. It's just more of a balanced IPA, like DFH90 and Bells Hopslam

Mikkeller Hop Burn Double IPA from Belgium. Lots of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Great flavor but super different than West coast DIPAs I am used to.

image-2678124045.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Now that I have time to take it easy I have a pic of my current beverage. It's WesleyS's black IPA and it's pretty good. :)

Glad you like it. So do you see what I was talking about. Definitely needs more dry hops next time.

As for my current beverage, I'm continuing my clean out of aged Sam Adams beers with this. I'm enjoying this one better than the Imperial Stout and Dopplebock. Nice smokiness and very smooth for 10% ABV.

image-1131241520.jpg

Glad you like it. So do you see what I was talking about. Definitely needs more dry hops next time.

The fruity note I didn't get at all and even got a second opinion from my brother. I do agree, more dry hops and lower mash temp would fix that baby right up. No technical flaws that I could tell, so your process is sound.

nukebrewer said:
The fruity note I didn't get at all and even got a second opinion from my brother. I do agree, more dry hops and lower mash temp would fix that baby right up. No technical flaws that I could tell, so your process is sound.

I appreciate the feedback. This was my first IPA so I was half expecting it to be drain cleaner, but was pleasantly surprised when it turned out halfway decent. I think next time, with a few tweaks including those you mentioned, I'll nail what I was shooting for.

bottlebomber said:
20 degrees? Damn.. What was it, a large soda can?

No just an old beat up cooler. It had only 140 water and it is 30 outside. But I'm still disappointed

Back