Question as to secondary time when adding fruit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewTodd

Reaction score
How long should I leave my cider on dried cranberries? It has stopped again after the restarted fermentation within a day. I would add the berries are floating on top of the carboy. Do I wait till they fall then rack again?

I can see more yeast has settled but the chopped up berries are still floating with a bit of trapped bubbles around them. The airlock had stopped perking completely and the cider has gone from blonde back to a reddish color.

NEVER AGAIN! Was almost impossible to rack off the cranberries! Racking cane even with a bit of muslin on the end kept loosing prime. I'll be lucky if I don't have four gallon of cranapple vinegar. I'll just use some cranberry cocktail in primary if I want that flavor.

Sorry to hear about the racking problems, but I wanted to thank you for coming back and sharing how it went.

I dont know about cranberries, but when I add raspberries, I only leave the pulp in for a few days. I add at the end of primary fermentation, a couple days before the crash, and the pulp comes out fairly easily in the crash. That is enough time to get the flavor. Leaving them in too long makes them gelatinous and gunks up the siphon, as you noted.

I dont know about cranberries, but when I add raspberries, I only leave the pulp in for a few days. I add at the end of primary fermentation, a couple days before the crash, and the pulp comes out fairly easily in the crash. That is enough time to get the flavor. Leaving them in too long makes them gelatinous and gunks up the siphon, as you noted.

I also did a light chop of the cranberries. Live and learn. Next time I'll be bagging them if I chose to use them.

I am drinking it now (cold) and it is a light and refreshing taste. Sweet but not sickeningly. I would say as sweet as Hornsby crisp but fruitier.

Back