how much spice to add to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
Obviously this depends on your taste and preferences. But if I'm adding cinnamon clove and nutmeg to a 4 gallon batch, how much would you recommend?

Some threads say to stay away from powder spices but I question why. I would think that they would be as effective as their raw counterparts in the right amount.

Looking for advice on what to add and in what quantity.

I believe the issue with the powder vs whole is that the powder will not dissolve and floats to the top

I recommend using the freshest spices possible to make a tincture with cheap vodka. Add 10 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 of a freshly grated nutmed seed and two crushed cloves to a pint jar filled with vodka. Let it sit for a week in the cupboard, giving it a good shake once a day. Add the (very strong) infusion 1 tsp at a time to the mead, giving it a gentle swirl after each addition. Taste the mead and decide once the spice level is perfect for your tastes. There is no other way to precisely dose spices. It works perfect with beer, too.

Back