Got my autosiphon in the mail yesterday, and I'll never go back!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Yep, I got my autosiphon from AHS yesterday, and I don't think I'll ever go back to the regular siphon. I even strayed from my pitcher/funnel put into the carboy method, and used my auto-siphon instead.

Yep, I love it, do you?
J

I loved them too until my second one broke. Be careful with the piece that sits in the bottom. The slightest touch if trying to remove debris and knock it loose and it is VERY difficult to get back in. The siphon will not work without it. My first one last about a year, the second one last 3 uses until that piece just fell out :drunk:

I agree, I got mine probably 6 weeks ago after having always used a manual siphon and I will never go back. It makes things so much easier and less messy.

I love mine. When I can use it, it works great.

Word of warning though. It's not obvious that they cannot handle hot wort. Please do yourself a favor and do not siphon hot wort with it. Trust me.

It always seems like a hassle to me to start a siphon. I did it for about 8 years, switched to an Autosiphon and will never look back. Maybe I don't do it right, but the Autosiphon may be the best piece of brewing equipment I have ever bought.

I used to love her but I had to kill her, 3 times. My autosiphon that is. When you've had the crappy seals they use leak air on 3 different autosiphons, well...you kill them. I also don't like cardboard beer either. Ya know, they sure could improve on those if they made them out of something thicker that could take a better seal than that crappy plastic outer tube they use.

I now just use a 1/2 inch racking cane and start the siphon the manual way.

As easy as they are to use- if you don't know how to start a manual siphon, when your autosiphon starts to leak air, then you shouldn't be homebrewing. I regret wasting money on the things.

Morebeer sells a stainless steel siphon starter that uses a sterile filter that you blow into to generate pressure. As long as you're careful with keeping one of the ends of the filter "clean" it should last a good long time.

The autosiphon idea is good but they are made out of such cheap material. After going through two in a year I purchase a stainless racking cane and can't say that I've had any problems getting it started. Not planning to go back but if they ever come out with a stainless version I might have to give it a second look.

I had the smaller one and it seemed to take forever and upgraded to the large one which is super quick. However, the last batch or two I've noticed it sucking in air at the bottom where the 2 pieces mate together, not good. I haven't noticed any problems with the beer but none the less not what you want.

So how do you start a normal siphon? Do you fill the tube with water?

I need to find a replacement soon as mine apparently isn't doing so well.

The funny think is when the level in the carboy is high it doesn't seem to suck air, it's when the level get low that it starts to suck air.

Latest posts

Back