Westy 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpaige89

Reaction score
I know I'm new around here, but I have been reading a lot. I am moving to France to teach English, which puts me about 4 hours from Brussels, and (hopefully someone here knows) pretty close to the Abbaye de Saint-Sixte (Saint Sixtus Abby) where the Westvleteren 12 is brewed. I plan on going at least twice (as it only costs $100 to get there and back by train) and will therefore have about 48 bottles. I'll probably save about 10 or 12 for long term storage, and then maybe give a few to my dad and uncle. Any suggestions on what to do with the other case of 24? I don't really want to sell them on ebay (despite being able to make a profit) because I generally agree with the monks. I figure each bottle costs me about $10 after transport fees are all said and done when I come back in May. Does anyone know of a homebrew club around Central Maine to share with? I was also (but no promises) thinking of shipping some to different regions of the US for HBT members to get together and try some, in exchange for a bottle or two of some homebrews (I drink pretty much anything and have never had homebrews, and probably won't have any in France). Maybe this is better to ask around May when I get back. Anyway, I'm up for suggestions.:D

I would love to get my hands on Westy 12 and am thoroughly jealous that you will have such easy access to it, though I'll probably wait to get it when (but who knows when) I go to Belgium someday. Also, kudos to you for not giving in to the the dark side and maintaining good beer karma by not trying to make a profit on it (I refuse to support the practice of selling/buying beers at obscenely inflated prices, i.e. eBay, because it is unfair to those that brew it). If you're looking to just unload some and want to make sure it gets appreciated, maybe donate a few bottles to different homebrew contests to be part of the best of show prize? I dunno, just an idea.. Enjoy your trip over there and drink some good beer!

Just make sure to book your crates! They only take phone orders, the times are on their web site. Technically you have to give your licence plate number but if you come by train, you might want to ask them for an anternative. "In de vrede", the pub on the other side of the street also sells them in boxes of 6. They are however not always available. Also, make sure you plan your trips carefully, public transport in the outskirts of Flanders can be a hassle. Sometimes you have to book a bus in advance. Route planner you can find on delijn.be
But maybe you knew all of that already...

BTW, while in Flanders, don't forget to visit my hometown (Bruges) and the pub Brugs Beertje!

Just make sure to book your crates! They only take phone orders, the times are on their web site. Technically you have to give your licence plate number but if you come by train, you might want to ask them for an anternative. "In de vrede", the pub on the other side of the street also sells them in boxes of 6. They are however not always available. Also, make sure you plan your trips carefully, public transport in the outskirts of Flanders can be a hassle. Sometimes you have to book a bus in advance. Route planner you can find on delijn.be
But maybe you knew all of that already...

BTW, while in Flanders, don't forget to visit my hometown (Bruges) and the pub Brugs Beertje!

That is awesome information. I knew I had to book by phone, which isn't an issue because I speak French as well as English, which should work in Belgium. I was wondering if you knew if public transport allows crates? I would hate to go all the way there and not be able to bring them back to France. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to make a friend or two in France (although this may prove to be difficult) who has a car and can drive there. I'll be in Le Mans, which shouldn't be too far away (4 or 5 Hours), plus I'll pay gas and buy them a pint of one of the best beers in the world. Anyway, what part of Sweden are you living in? SWMBO was born there and has family there, around Örebro.

I thought the only way you could buy the beer at the Abbey was in the drive-thru with a car? I'm not even sure public transit really gets you that close... Most people who go there to drink at the cafe talk about renting bicycles.

That is awesome information. I knew I had to book by phone, which isn't an issue because I speak French as well as English, which should work in Belgium.
For what it's worth, the guy on the beer phone speaks excellent English, and is also a very friendly chap, so language isn't a problem. I bought a crate of Westy 12 last year, though I was surprised to discover when I got to the monastery that it's actually in a Flemish-speaking area. It seemed odd given that Westvleteren is only minutes from the French border, but the menu in the cafe is in Dutch, and the staff and locals were all speaking to each other in Dutch. I also ordered some food in French, and the waitress replied in Dutch. Given the less-than-cordial relations between the Flemish and Walloons, I think smiling a lot and talking in English would go down better than speaking French.

For info in case it's helpful, when you get through to the beer phone guy, he asks to take the license plate number of your car, which is then used as the basis for identifying who they can sell beer to that day. I don't know if they have an alternative arrangement for non-drivers, though as Westvleteren really is in the middle of nowhere, hiring or borrowing a car would make things a lot easier.

Back