Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
Hey guys, just joining what should be a long (and hopefully delicious) home brewing experience.

I was just wondering how long I should leave my beer in the primary fermenter for. I have had it in the primary for 5 days now, and am getting about 10-12 bubbles per minute. So far everything seems to be going well, and I can't wait for my first batch to finish. Thanks!

P.S. If anyone knows a good way to label your bottles, that would be very much appreciated, I was kinda hoping for something that I might just be able to print straight from my computer.

General rule of thumb is 1 week primary, 2 secondary, 3 in bottle, drink... thats just a R.o.T. though...

As for labelling; there is an entire forum here for it. I've heard of buying sticky paper and printing from the home computer or people printing onto normal paper at staples and sticking on with a glue stick. MidWestSupplies sells label paper if you can't find any at Wal-Mart or something similar...

I'm usually not in a rush. When its done, it's done you know. If you don't want to wait for the bubbling to stop you can use a hydrometer. After three readings that are the same, it's ready.

As for labels I use these small circles on the tops of the caps. I put full labels on the ones I give away.

Another rule of thumb - when the bubbles are more than a minute apart, rack for clearing. You can even bottle straight from the primary at that point.

I have more thumbs than most people: At least a week AND less than 1 bpm AND gravity hasn't changed for three days. Then rack to the clearing tank for two weeks.

Figure a minimum of 5 weeks from the end of fermentation to drinking. About the only exceptions are low gravity Milds and Browns.

5 days and still bubbling at that rate. Wow. Must be an all malt brew. I'm still using kits, think I'll change my name from Ol' Grog to Mr. kit.....I have been using the 1-1-2 ROT. But I will admit, towards the last part of a batch I'm drinking, they have gotten better. May need to go 1-2-2 here pretty soon. My problem is I can't wait.

Ol' Grog said:
May need to go 1-2-2 here pretty soon. My problem is I can't wait.

This is THE BEST reason to go with a secondary. Your not alone with the problem :) A secondary is good for a lot of things, but for the very least it keeps your gruby hands off it for a while :D

Rules of Thumb are useful in a pinch if you have the experience, but you should really learn how to use your hydrometer and take all the guess work out of the equation.

I've been brewing for a long time and still use a hydrometer. There's no need to dump beers because you "guessed wrong".

I've read more posts on brews gone bad here lately that just disheartens me that you guys would pour your time and money into making a great tasting brew only to post that the brew had gone bad.

Of course, the primary reason brews go bad is sanitation, but isn't about time you deal the cards in your favor?:D

I still like my solution for not having the patience: Just make more beer. Soon you have enough laying around that you can't possibly drink it all before it's time.

Having an insanely busy schedule helps also. :p

david_42 said:
I have more thumbs than most people: At least a week AND less than 1 bpm AND gravity hasn't changed for three days. Then rack to the clearing tank for two weeks.

Figure a minimum of 5 weeks from the end of fermentation to drinking. About the only exceptions are low gravity Milds and Browns.

Good advice. I would consider taking this mans word to heart here.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to put your advice to good work, and let me just say that this forum is awsome!
Cheers! :mug:

Back