Northern Brewer Polysulfone QD's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitsPale

Reaction score
Does anyone use a male (or female, I guess) polysulfone disconnect (as sold by NB) on a brew kettle ball-valve?

Any issues with heat from the burner?

I had a brass QD failure and am searching for a different solution.

Andy

Yeah, I was thinking a wet dishtowel or rag wrapped around it.

foil might be easier/better.

I mean, I figure if the rubber coated handle on the ball valve is okay, the fitting, which is designed to handle hot liquid, should be too, right?

Yea these are safe for hot liquids.

If you use a big burner where the flames lick up the sides, then you might get into a situation where the QDs get soft and may be damaged.

But really, if you're running that inefficiently or you are not shielding the flames from drafts, then you should wrap 'em up in foil and you deserve to have melty QDs for being so careless.

It depends on your setup. I built a Brutus 10 (with wood instead of metal). The "channel" that is created forces heat over the rubber sleave on the ball valve, and melted that sucker right off!

I soldered up an extension tube and put my QD further away from the burner for insurance, and easy access.

Latest posts

Back