Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Plainwell last weekend to pick up my Mustang body shell. Was planning on stopping into Founders for a sandwich and a beer, but there was this huge Founders Fest party where they blocked off a whole street and had bands and all that, which would have been nice if we had planned on it, but at $15 just to get in, I was not having it.

So, we walked a few blocks to Hopcat and had a look. Nice place! HUGE selection of Michigan, US, and even some World beers. They now brew their own.

I tried the Kolsch, which was not great. Some kind of funny off-flavor. Then I ordered the Killer Mac 'N Cheese with Chorizo and Herbed Tomatoes. Then a glass of DIPA from some brewery I did not know (or remember).

The waiter got a manager to let us check out the brewery, which is extremely tiny. I think it is about the same size as my office at work! I told him I had the Kolsch, and he said it didn't turn out right. He was not the brewer, so I couldn't ask too technical of questions, but I imagine they are still working out the equipment and techniques.

The food was very good and the atmosphere was pretty standard pub/bar. I liked the huge selection of beer, even beer from breweries in the same town.

I'm on their mailing list, but have yet to get out there. I hope These Guys get the rest of the capital they need to open.

Whatever you do, do not get teh Scotty Karate at Hopcat. I could not stand it. Its the only beer I have ever had that I did not like. Otherwise, hopcat is one of the better bars in GR.

#666!

We'll have to check out the Hopcat!

DH will be thrilled to hear about a potential brewery in Muskegon ... that's his hometown.

Back