BeerSmith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javajo91

Reaction score
Good morning -

I'm looking to make a Cream ale in BeerSmith-

The recipe calls for a 60 minute boil but the ingredients list the hop boil for 90 mins?

Also - being a newbie to AG brewing, If the ingredient list calls for corn flakes, I'm not sure if those should be mashed or simply thrown in the boil...
Does BeerSmith provide step by step instructions?

Thank u!

From what I have seen, the beersmith recipes are a bit flawed.

60 minute boil, I would hop for 60 minutes, depending on the hop. 90 minutes seems like a long time for hops for a cream ale which shouldn't be overly bitter.

corn flakes, no clue, I'm an extract brewer and looking to move to all grain here soon but would imagine that they should be mashed since they are grain.

What do you mean, "I'm looking to make a Cream ale in BeerSmith- ...."

Are you using a Cream Ale recipe offered by Beersmith in its software, or, did you find a recipe that you want to put into Beersmith?

The frosted corn flakes are grrrreat... and they go in the mash. I personally like to always have a 90 minute boil to assure dms is boiled off. Therefore, I would change to a 90min boil and use the 90min hop addition. G'luck!

Hi,
"Does BeerSmith provide step-by-step instructions?" - Yes it does. Go to My Recipes and then pick on of the "Brewsheet" reports which is available in the drop down at the right end of the first toolbar.

Alternately you can use the Preview as Brewsheet button.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi,
"Does BeerSmith provide step-by-step instructions?" - Yes it does. Go to My Recipes and then pick on of the "Brewsheet" reports which is available in the drop down at the right end of the first toolbar.

Alternately you can use the Preview as Brewsheet button.

Cheers,
Brad

HOLY $HIT! It is the MAN himself! We are in the presence of greatness, I am bowing as I type this by the way. :D
Great to see you around again Brad.

I'm always around - just not always posting.

Happy to be here - as this is the most active brewing forum I'm aware of.

Cheers,
Brad

javajo, by rightclicking on the ingredient you can see and change some of the ingredient parameters. For flaked corn the "must mash" box is checked. So far the only ingredient I have changed parameters on is sugar. This has allowed the brewsheet to add as a late addtion or during ferment, instead of as a boil ingredient.

The recipe calls for a 60 minute boil but the ingredients list the hop boil for 90 mins?

You can change the time in beersmith, but really boiling for 90 minutes will only give you a couple more IBUS than 60. Most of the bitterness the hops have to give is already in the wort by 60 minutes.

Back