Hydrogen peroxide use for CO2 production?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
Jamil and Doc recently mentioned that you can add hydrogen peroxide to beer to add carbonation. Doc said it would turn into CO2 and water and leave little, if any, taste. He suggested a capful, if memory serves?

I can see a number of applications. E.g., after moving to secondary, could add some to provide a protective layer of CO2 below oxygen layer introduced in my bucket during the transfer. Especially useful if lagering for an extended time in same.

Anybody ever tried this?

Jamil and Doc recently mentioned that you can add hydrogen peroxide to beer to add carbonation. Doc said it would turn into CO2 and water and leave little, if any, taste. He suggested a capful, if memory serves?

I can see a number of applications. E.g., after moving to secondary, could add some to provide a protective layer of CO2 below oxygen layer introduced in my bucket during the transfer. Especially useful if lagering for an extended time in same.

Anybody ever tried this?

Huh?

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. Please explain how you get CO2 out of that.

Two molecules of hydrogen peroxide will break down into two molecules of water (H2O) and one of oxygen (O2). Percarbonate cleaners like Oxyclean and PBW use that to good effect and I have heard of using hydrogen peroxide for oxygenating wort but you're losing me on this carbonation thing.

Unless I am forgetting some reaction somewhere, that won't happen at all. Hydrogen peroxide turns into straight water when it breaks down, but I would think it might have some negative effects (if used in high enough conc.) before it does that.

Ooops. Brain needs defragging. Maybe, and more likely based on these two replies, the addition of hydrogen peroxide was to add OXYGEN to a fermenter. My bad. THANKS men.

Back