New Help Choosing a Pot - Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the Chefmate 20 QT stainless steel stock pot for $50 from Target. It looks decent and it's relatively cheap. I'm going through the same thing as others - deciding which size and which metal.

I have a kit but not the kettle yet. I just got my kit last weekend and now need to get a kettle and maybe an immersion cooler. I'm planning on partial boils at first but may go into extract full boils. No AG in the immediate future (months +, I want a few batches under my belt first).

So with that said...do I go ahead and get a 20 qt and do a few batches and then go with a 30 Qt?

Then comes the question of SS vs Aluminum.

If I get a SS 20 qt...I'll probably spend $50 or so (although I can get a good quality one - NSF listed, heavy duty, 1mm thick on from a local restaurant store for $62)...if I get an Alum pot - I'll probably spend around $40-45 with a lid from that local restuarant store but they are all heavy duty as well - 4mm thick and NSF listed as well.

I already have a turkey fryer pot - 30 qt alum and a burner...loaned from my father. But if I go SS - then we're talking close to $100 for a decent pot. Remember I'm just starting...I'll be doing extract brews for a while and not getting into partials for a while...and AG are way out. I know that some folks would say - buy what you can afford...well I can afford the larger SS (32+ qt) BUT I also don't need to spend the $ and then not use any of it or turn around and sell it a few months out because I didn't stay with it. I've thought about this so much I've paralyzed myself in deciding. I know some folks use partial boils and they are happy...some full boils and say it's better (refering to extract brews here only).

Can anyone help enlighten me? Thank you.

Buy cheap buy twice...you will be over the 20qt really quick. If you plan on going to brew 5 gallon AG batches some day, or even just doing full boils you might as well try to get a 40QT stock pot. If you look around online and on CL you should be able to find something. With thanksgiving coming up there should be some good deals on turkey fryers at Home depot, sears and other places like that.

Check out the sticky about SS Vs Aluminum.

Yup - if you skimp and save money now, you'll end up buying two cheap things. Just buy a big one that you won't outgrow, and get stainless steel. Wait until you have the money saved up - you'll be glad you did..

If your father will let you use the turkey fryer for a few batches, why not go that route and see if you like brewing?
If yes, you can invest in some quality gear.
If not, you've only spent money on ingredients and a little bit of gear.
Just remember to clean the hell out of the fryer if it's ever had oil in it, or your beer will suck!

If your father will let you use the turkey fryer for a few batches, why not go that route and see if you like brewing?
If yes, you can invest in some quality gear.
If not, you've only spent money on ingredients and a little bit of gear.
Just remember to clean the hell out of the fryer if it's ever had oil in it, or your beer will suck!

Yes - he has a new toy for the holidays that he just got - a smoker. He only used the fryer maybe 2-3 times. I just took a look at it and it's basically spotless with exception to the top 1 inch or so of the pot near the rim. Other than that I see nothing...no stain...no oil...etc.

The thing is using the 30 qt would be over kill for a partial boil though. I'm going to start that way since many of the kits are partial boil recipes. They don't put instructions in the kits on how to adjust the hops...etc. with a full boil because they are meant for partials.

I could easily just buy a heavy duty 32-40 qt SS with a spigot and be done. But then I would also be laying down $150+ for that without knowing if I'm going to stick with it. That is why I was thinking 20-24 qt to begin with...that way if it doesn't work out...then I have a large stockpot that I could use for boiling corn...or other cooking for larger groups that come over. Currently my largest stockpot is 8 qt.

I guess I'm asking if the smaller route is the way to go considering what I'm thinking and then comes the SS vs AL....more from the view of which is better value...not so much the aluminum vs SS on the cooking of the wort.

Thanks.

Yeah, if you have cabinet space in your kitchen and can use a 20 quart for chili or corn and such, go for it. Or maybe your grandma or someone has a bigger pot they'll let you borrow for your partial testing?
If you enjoy partial boil, you can try a couple full boil in your dads fryer down the road.
Nothing wrong with not wanting to blow a bunch of cash on something you might not want to do long term.

shelly_belly said:
If you have a turkey fryer pot and burner then you're good to go. Spend that money elsewhere.

This. Use the turkey burner or at least the pot on the stove. It is perfectly fine to have lots of extra space!

Buying a 20qt SS pot then replacing it in a couple months seems stupid to me. Use the turkey fryer, if not buy a turkey fryer yourself, they are a great deal. Aluminum is fine, SS is heavy.

I bought a eagleware commercial aluminum pot and lid for $50 brand new on craigslist.

Search BIAB on these forums. all grain is easier than you think. All you need is a 30qt pot or bigger and a nylon paint strainer bag from wal mart.

Just bought a 60qt aluminum Brinkmann pot at Home Depot for $78, free shipping. Full boil 10 gal batches, here I come! I would definitely go large if you plan to stick with brewing at all. Post after post on here shows how many people constantly tinker & upgrade... Seems almost unavoidable for many.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

When I started brewing 4 years ago, I bought a cheap Proctor-Silex 30 qt. SS pot from Cooking.com, $40 shipped on sale, to go along with my Midwest brewing kit. I'm still using it. It's got thin metal, and has some dings around the bottom edge by now, but.....it works. For me, this is about the minimum size pot to do full 6.5 gal. AG boils. With that much liquid in there, it comes to within about 2 inches of the top. Boilovers would be a problem except for a handy product called Fermcap-S. Six drops at the start of the boil, and no worries. I have no plans to upgrade to a bigger pot......that would only happen if I would make the jump to 10 gallon batches, and I don't see that happening.

I'd err on the side of a bigger pot. A 40qt pot can not only be used for beer but shrimp and lobster boils that can be eaten with delicious homebrew.

I'd err on the side of a bigger pot. A 40qt pot can not only be used for beer but shrimp and lobster boils that can be eaten with delicious homebrew.

Good advice. Hope it's not too late. This thread died 4-1/2 years ago.

Back