Update Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
Just drew the 1st pint.....nailed it! I've got a little more pecan but side by side its perfect. Who said you can't brew beer with nuts. Check it out.
View attachment 5319

here's the list. I don't know how to upload from beer tools, sorry
10lbs maris otter
1lb caramel malt 20L
1lb german dark wheat
.50lb 2-row carapils
.25lb english chocolate malt
10oz roasted pecans
1oz tettnanger 60min
.5oz tettnanger 15min
.5oz tettnanger flame out
wyeast 1318 london ale 3
roast pecans at 375 for 15min cool them in paper lunch bags to help soak up the oil when cool repeat 3 times be shure not to burn them, add to mash at 155 for 90min. I batch sparged. good luck! I am very happy the way mine turned out. PS use lots of bags I used around 30.

I did the same with the pecans except I used a coffee grinder to get more surface area. I used about 20 bags. What was your OG and FG?

I'm by no means a knowledgeable brewer, AG at that. But that's pretty high even for that strain.

Did you do a high mash-out temp or have a weird ferment temperature?

I dont know I'm pretty new at this, I brewed on a sunday and was out of town all week, maby got a stuck ferment. I mashed at 155 for 90min and batch sparged at 180. all I know is its very drinkable every one thats had some likes it.I will brew this again, let me know how yours turns out.

If someone could convert the Marris Otter to extract, couldn't we just do a partial mash with the rest of the grains?

I really love this beer but can not get it where I live, so I really need to get an extract conversion.

Ok, I put this question on another forum and got a response. The person responding suggested using 4.25 lbs of extra light DME and 2.25 lbs of Light DME to get close to the same color and gravity of 10 lbs of Marris Otter grains. I am going to try it with my next batch but it will be a while before I can get to it.

I'm going to do a version of this very soon. I have a huge pecan tree that produces very small, but intensely flavored pecans. It will be a pain in the ass to crack them all but I think it will be fantastic.

I am planning to use a whole pound because I want the pecan flavor to be very forward, almost overpowering. I will post a recipe if it turns out well.

how was the head on the beer? did the oils effect it in any way?

and when you say you used 30 bags do you mean ten bags at a time per roast or one bag at a time and then transfer to a new bag and then another..... etc

That might be literally the MOST sessionable beer I've ever heard of. 2.3% ABV might as well be O'Douls.

Looking for updates on this:

related to the last posts: 2.3% is way too low. Lazy Magnolia's site lists it as 4.39% with 19 IBU, 15 Lovibond.

Anyone been perfecting this? Looking for an AG recipe.

Thanks!

I brewed this probably 2 years ago. I was just starting out and didn't have a good understanding of the brewing process. I ended up with 4.5 gallons instead of 5.5. I assume this made my beer 20% stronger. I broke my hydrometer so I don't know what the gravity was. It turned out to be a wonderful beer and I plan on upping the grain bill to try and recreate this "mistake".

I have been lurking around this site for some time. I followed this recipe on my first AG batch and I thought it turned out really well. Hammer one I appreciate you figuring out the recipe. I am about to try it again with 32oz of pecans. I used almost 100 bags and they were still getting filled with oil.

I have been lurking around this site for some time. I followed this recipe on my first AG batch and I thought it turned out really well. Hammer one I appreciate you figuring out the recipe. I am about to try it again with 32oz of pecans. I used almost 100 bags and they were still getting filled with oil.
I used paper shopping bags. 2 pounds of pecans in 3 layers with 4 layers of bags sandwiching them on jelly roll trays.

Back