todays brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
just finished my second batch on the top tier today. gotta say its a great setup and im real happy with it. no major problems except the major cold break i got in the carboy and need to figure out how to keep it out next time. any suggestions? this system has reduced my brewday by an 1 and 1/2 hrs. love it. here some pics. its northern brewers pale ale with a little extra grains.

bd1.jpg

bd2.jpg

bd3.jpg

bd4.jpg

bd5.jpg

One simple thing you can do is to use a settling tank/carboy/bucket. Drain your cooled wort into it and let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and then siphon that into your fermentor. The other thing to try is recirculating the cooled wort back into the kettle until the output from the chiller is clear.

Don't worry about the cold break.

For people who wash and reuse yeast, that's one less thing they need to try to clean off it.

Cold break is tough to keep out. Like slarkin said, your best bet might be to either let it sit in a temporary container for about half an hour and then siphon to the fermentor.

Back