Is It A Guy Thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
* Big Giant Rant Approaching!*

I see lots of SWMBO references. I find it amusing, not offensive. But I wonder...Where did I go wrong??? Do the ladies really give you all a hard time, or is it just mantalk? How can I gain such power?
I don't want to Be SWMBO in the literal sense, but Gosh, HWLAMH (He Who Lives At My House) is such a pain. Like, kinda sissyish. If you met him, you'd love the guy. Looks and acts anything but a big ole girly boy.
But he complained about a smell after brewing and hasn't had any beer I've made. Doesn't give a crap about what's in that 5 gallon Better Bottle on the kitchen counter (it's EdWort's Apfelwein). Hasn't even asked about it. Wouldn't your SWMBO's be curious?
Must be that f'ing low-carb baloney I got him into a couple months ago. Who knew he'd pay attention?! Or it could be the 25 year power struggle that some call marriage.
On the bright side, he's not having his buddies over to empty my keg while I'm working 2-10 PM five days a week. He pays for top shelf vodka drinks at a restaurant. I may not make great beer yet, but he doesn't know that, cause he hasn't had any. It's not hard to get- it's been kegged in my new kegerator that sits in the kitchen.

This is Drunken YaddaYadda and Mindless Blah Blah Blah, Right?

Sounds like he needs a little visit from Hanz & Franz. "cause we're going to pump YOU up!" (SNL) My wife has made a couple of batches,but she likes most of what I brew. She always askes if a batch of my beer is ready that's been getting it's fridge time. She'll then make sure we have a jug of vodka around to go with'em.
Hell,she's even sat down with me,a bottle of Quervo gold & a bottle of Roses's lime juice. And we pretty much always drink together,save for those days where she's tired & I need some rhumatize medicine. So I guess it's a matter of conditioning &/or preference.

Glad to hear you share the fun together!
I'm just bitchin 'cause it's so bassackwards. Guess why I started drinking, LOL!
It is kinda disappointing when I do "guy stuff" all by myself. Like installing appliances, plumbing fixtures, making beer, smoking meats, etc. I don't nag, I just get it done :) He can do it; just won't. Gaahhh!

just mantalk

That.

But he complained about a smell after brewing and hasn't had any beer I've made. Doesn't give a crap about what's in that 5 gallon Better Bottle on the kitchen counter (it's EdWort's Apfelwein). Hasn't even asked about it. Wouldn't your SWMBO's be curious?

She'd come at me with a flash light and a spray bottle. I'd sing like a canary. :p

In general, I do what I want. My wife has her say, and I try my best to abide by it (I love her to the ends of the earth). I like the peaceful kingdom. But I am the final word, and that is that. She likes my hobby to stay outside and so do I.

SWMBO? Sure, gotta keep mamma happy. If mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

My wife is no SWMBO. Sharona, you would like her. She's way into the Pats, will watch the Sox and Bruins, loves good beer and is totally supportive. She doesn't brew and is only mildly curious of my process. One thing she is, though , is more patient with my beer than I am. I tapped two beers a couple of weeks ago. My strong pale ale and a kit milk chocolate stout that I kicked up a notch. She only wants me to taste the stout (her fav) for potential issues and not pull a pint cuz she says my beer is perfect! About the time the keg is ready to kick. lol. But she doesn't do the manly stuff. Thats my job.

I dont know what it is about some guys nowadays. They are so...soft? Its like they lost the mancard in the mail or something. They aren't girlie, they're just...soft. Is HWMC a product of a broken home? No male influence? I hear its in the water too. Birth control isn't removed during waste treatment operations and its in the water supply making women more assertive and men less so.

Ha! Whine, I've been trying to think of an acronym, and you hit the nail on the head :)

BarneyG, Your wife sounds like a great woman!
You'd never think it if you met this guy. Middle aged, manly man, perfectly capable. He just never gets around to doing ****! His parents together since they were 12! Large, well- respected-in the-community dad. Definitely has no testosterone shortage. A great guy to be buddies with, but a poor husband. Plenty assertive, too!

Ah, well, I shall brew and drink and smoke and eat! :mug:

Guys like to get by doing as little as possible sometimes. Especially if they can get away with it. I tend to be that way sometimes, so my wife has to call me to task on occasion. Fortunately, my sloth never applies to my hobby.

Ha! Whine, I've been trying to think of an acronym, and you hit the nail on the head :)

BarneyG, Your wife sounds like a great woman!
You'd never think it if you met this guy. Middle aged, manly man, perfectly capable. He just never gets around to doing ****! His parents together since they were 12! Large, well- respected-in the-community dad. Definitely has no testosterone shortage. A great guy to be buddies with, but a poor husband. Plenty assertive, too!

Ah, well, I shall brew and drink and smoke and eat! :mug:

I guess I've noticed this alot recently too. Like I said, they are not feminine. Plenty masculine. Just...soft. That yankee work ethic is missing. The desire to tinker with stuff and mess it up. The Tim Allen trait. lol. No desire to lift the hood of the car, or do a brewing sculpture build using a 440 magnum engine with a Holly 650 dual pumper to run the pumps...no desire to get out the chop saw and build their own picnic table...soft. pampered. different.

I guess I've noticed this alot recently too. Like I said, they are not feminine. Plenty masculine. Just...soft. That yankee work ethic is missing. The desire to tinker with stuff and mess it up. The Tim Allen trait. lol. No desire to lift the hood of the car, or do a brewing sculpture build using a 440 magnum engine with a Holly 650 dual pumper to run the pumps...no desire to get out the chop saw and build their own picnic table...soft. pampered. different.

That 440 would be alot cooler with a tunnel ram and twin Dominators :rockin:

I think, correct me if I am wrong folks, the "Who Must Be Obeyed" portion of our program is to denote that the non-brewer or H/S who brews less often needs to be saved from themselves. Some of us would spend way more money, time, and counter space than we actually had if it wasnt for the mitigatory effect of our sig others.

I too have been accused in the past of being "girly" (I know shocking right?!). I couldnt care less about cars, sports seem mindlessly repetitive and putting together Ikea furniture is more of a hassle then I remember it once being. Buggah, I had a point but I lost it. Sorry.

That 440 would be alot cooler with a tunnel ram and twin Dominators :rockin:

The issue with this is though is that the power range is going to be 3,500-7,000 rpm assuming I get a cam to match. With the open headers I'll be running, I'm not going to be able to hear any of my timers, or anything else for that matter......

The issue with this is though is that the power range is going to be 3,500-7,000 rpm assuming I get a cam to match. With the open headers I'll be running, I'm not going to be able to hear any of my timers, or anything else for that matter......

Well with the appropriate heat source, we wont need timers. Figured from first fire till end of boil in about 2 1/2 mins!

You could drop in a stroker crank and get over 500 cubic inches throw a old school roots type blower on it and boil in under 11 seconds on street tires.

Don't need to hear if you use some shift lights tied into the brew timer. Im also thinking that a dry nitrous system could be modified for O2 injection.

Getting back on topic I think the whole SWMBO thing is mainly a term of endearment. It is a guy thing.

Back