carboy problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottgar12

Reaction score
I just put my stout in the secondary fermenter and then noticed that theres a tiny crack on the bottom corner that I can't even feel with my fingernail. I moved it to my fermenting closet without killing myself. Im planning on kegging it in a couple days. Will it...

a. burst all the sudden dumping 7 gallons of oatmeal stout on my floor
b. be okay and leak a little bit if the crack is bad
c. be no problem (I'm planning on not moving the carboy when I go to keg it)

I figure if it was going to leak it would probably be leaking already, but I am worried it will be a massive leak with no warning. Id just like a little reassurance.

d. all above possible :)
I would put something over it, old t-shirt, some kind of bag, something that prevents pieces of glass flaying in to your face in case the worst happend when you racking it

I will take "C" for $500 Mr. Trebek!!!

Seriously, it should be ok, I wouldn't go shaking it or anything.

With glass you never really know what it will do. My wife an I were given a glass bowl for out wedding some 36 years ago and it had been fine until last month when my wife heard a noise in the cupboard to fiend that the bowl had spit out a chip along the rim. Nothing had fallen on it in the cupboard either. I'd be really careful of that carboy and replace it ASAP.

Most likely you'll be fine but crack propagation in glass tricky to predict at best. I'd put it in a big plastic tote just in case. If you sanitize it you might even save the beer in the event of a failure.

You can:

A) Put it in a large tote or bucket would be my first choice
B) Re-rack it to another fermentor or back into the original if you don't have extras.
C) If you don't have a tote then at least put it in a layer or two of large garbage bags to help you clean up a possible situation.
D) Do nothing, hope for the best, kick yourself for not choosing A-C if Isht goes down (not saying it will)

The simplest option would be to just rack it again but then you are risking more contamination. However, I'm curious that if you cannot feel the scratch on the outside then it could be on the inside which would mean you are already risking contamination.

If you are gonna set the fermentor in something else then please wear long sleeves and some thick gloves (maybe even some goggles/glasses if you are feeling unlucky...) because if it decides to break while you are holding it... you will be in the perfect position to lacerate a few arteries....

I have a small crack (about 1/4") in one of my secondaries that I've been keeping an eye on. In 6-8 months it hasn't grown any. I've used it half a dozen times since. I got a bunch of carboys second hand so I think it came like this. Same deal, can't feel it with a fingernail. Plan on using it for awhile. I keep a magic marker circle on it so I can monitor once in awhile.

I would wrap a few strands of duct tape around it as a precaution. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't reuse it though! ;)

I second the Better Bottles! I would be affraid temperature change could cause the crack to grow..

Back