Porter spill of 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhaff

Reaction score
Learned the hard way not to leave my tap on while force carbonating. I lost about 4.5 gallons while I was at work. Afterwards I was thinking about carbing via the liquid out post since I could never force beer out the gas in dip tube. Anyone ever tried that? I think it would only take an extra liquid ball lock connected to my regulator.

image-1756544382.jpg

image-1678961188.jpg

Already made another batch now just waiting for a few more weeks before I keg it. Think force carbonating via the liquid out will cause any issues? It would be bubbling in the beer from the dip tube. The garage smelled great but I was super bummed mopping it up.

I havent carbed using the out side. I just tip my keg so the in side is near the floor. So as the gas is being pushed in it goes straight into the wort. Then I shake the mess out of it then leave it alone for a day.

RandomBeerGuy said:
I havent carbed using the out side. I just tip my keg so the in side is near the floor. So as the gas is being pushed in it goes straight into the wort. Then I shake the mess out of it then leave it alone for a day.

Why are you carbonating wort?

Why are you carbonating wort?

Because I want bubbles in my drink. Noone likes flat wort/beer. Just a matter on how you say it I guess. Wort-Beer its all the same. Plus i feel its has better carbonation if the push the gas through the wort-beer.:ban:

I'm not sure it will carb any better going through the liquid "out", but I don't think it can hurt either. I would first purge the oxygen out of the keg using the gas "in", so that it's all gone before you start bubbling through the beer and stirring things up.

Cool, I'll try it. At least I won't leak beer. The dumb picnic tap I left on while carbing leaked at the ball lock while I was out of the house.

Because I want bubbles in my drink. Noone likes flat wort/beer. Just a matter on how you say it I guess. Wort-Beer its all the same. Plus i feel its has better carbonation if the push the gas through the wort-beer.:ban:

Confusion is that 'wort' is not beer. Beer is fermented, wort is unfermented liquid.

What a terrible loss my friend.

Wort is term for no yeast yet.

I always carb my kegs from the "beer out" side, not the short side.

Reminds me of the spill at the Jim Beam plant in Kentucky that flooded the parking lot...... Group consensus here is to go face down and drink until it was gone.

Moving forward I will start carbing via the liquid out port. I can say the replacement batch was a tad better since I used distilled water and began playing with the water chemistry. Much more roast than before, loving it all the way.

Back