Straining out Hops from Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iswenson

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if there will be an adverse effect to not straining out the hops after boiling the wort. The brew shop said it will dissolve into the wort and I don't need to worry about it. When draining the wort into the fermenter, I attempted to not pour all the hop residue into the bucket (hops did not completely dissolve after proper boiling time.). This was last night. This morning I peeked into the fermenter because I saw no airlock activity. I saw a green film of hop residue on the top of the liquid. Am I screwed?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestion/information.

-Ian

The hops don't actually "dissolve." I'm assuming your using pellets - they'll break up, but the munched up hops will still be in there.

Plenty of people just pour everything in the pot into the fermenter, and I did at first. It won't ruin your beer.

Depending on pitching rate, temperature, and type of yeast, fermentation can sometimes take even a few days to start. And sometimes, it'll start and you won't see airlock activity. Don't worry about it.

Cool. Ive read a lot about the lag time in the fermenting process which made me feel better. Do you think after fermentation is complete (I am planning on using 1-step fermentation and going straight to bottling) I should strain while siphoning into the bottling bucket??

BTW- I am brewing Emmanuel Adams Ale. S.G. was 1.051 right before I added yeast. The ingredients are as follows:

1 can IPA Bitter home brew kit (40 pint size)
2 lb amber DME
1 oz hallertaur pellets
1 oz tettnag pellets
1 Pack Nottingham dry ale yest

calls for 3/4c Priming sugar when bottline.

Second question is what should my F.G. be for this (approx).

Thanks again
-Ian

There isn't a good way to strain going into the bottling bucket because you need to minimize oxygen contact with the beer. Instead, try to leave the trub (the name for the hops, break material, and yeast at the bottom of your fermenter) behind by racking a little off the bottom. Once it's in the bottling bucket, you can let it sit for a little while, too, to encourage more settling.

Anyone have an idea of what the Final SG reading should be? Ingredients in my second post

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

So just leave it, it will all settle out in the fermenter.

Back