Anyone bottle growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I've got a big growler I got last year from a brew pub, and am thinking about using it to bottle some of my brew. I was thinking it would be easier to pour from at home brew club meetings, parties, etc. Anyone else use these, and if so can you re-use the screw caps?

I have a couple of 2L fliptop growlers that I sometimes use. They work great. You should have no problems with them at all.

I use them all the time, I even reuse the same screw tops. I have the same top four time with any isue. I just put the put in hot water to softn the seal. I love using growlers for parties and same occasions when I visit.

Killer, thanks for the info! :tank:

And just to clarify, I'm going to use this to bottle straight out of the fermenter. I don't have a keg setup (yet :)). I'm assuming the carbonation pressure is fine with the growlers too?

I had some excellent oatmeal stout from another homebrewer at a party a couple of years ago. It came out of a screwtop growler. The brewer used melted wax around the cap to get a better seal. I'm not sure if the wax actually did anything or not, but maybe its worth a shot.
I've got a few screwtop growlers from a brewpub I'd be into using if it works. I dont know much about using screwcaps vs mechanically fastened caps. I mean, there has to be some sort of a change happening within the bottle that puts pressure on the cap, creating a seal, kind of like when you can vegetables -the heat creates a vacuum seal on a regular screw cap. I guess the carbonation process in beer might form a similar sort of atmospheric seal.
I'm sure someone here can explain how this happens.

let me know how it works

Back