Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
**I know there are 57 threads on this already but hear me out!**

All the previous threads I went through were talking about some recipe from Sam Calagione's book "extreme brewing." However, they were all for an extract recipe. My plan is to do this one AG.

My question: All the recipes I have seen call for boiling the oranges with the wort. I understand the oranges probably are not sterile enough to put in the cooled wort, but aren't most fruit additions done during secondary? I've never done this so I guess I'm looking for a little insight. I would preferably create a puree of some sort and add the fruit during a secondary fermentation. What's the consensus on this?

I'm drinking my BO Hefe right now. I took the zest and meat of 5 Blood oranges and boiled them just enough water to cover them for 15 minutes. I added them (zest, water and meat)to the primary in a large bag. Tastes great
This was for a 6 gallon batch.

( I mashed the meat)

Good call on the mesh bag, I think I would have dumped them directly in.

Ive done a blood orange saison. Peeled the fruit, froze it and then put it all in a carboy and racked on top of the fruit after primary fermentation. No need to put it in the boil imo, you just risk losing aromatics. I didnt use any zest, but I would put that into the boil.

Back