Blackberry Cider Secondaries vigorous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschoon

Reaction score
My first time racking onto fruit.

I just put some cider from my primary into my 1 gallon secondaries with about a pound of blackberries each 2 days ago.

I was wondering how vigorous the secondary fermentation will be? It has been pretty slow. It was in the primary for 3 weeks.

I used Notthingham ale yeast and nothing but the fresh pressed cider to make this cider.

I have had fermentation restart in secondary, when racking onto fruit. I guess just let it do its thing and see what the yeasties decide

Did you put any pectic on the fruit to break it down? chop it? or just whole?

I had froze the berries then dethawed them, and then put in them in whole. I didn't think of smashing them or anything like that.

Might not be to vigurous unless the berries were kind of soft. The skins will keep the yeast from getting at some of the sugars inside.
When im adding fruit I like to put it in the jug 2 days ahead of time, smash it and add a campden tablet and a little water to cover, then add pectic enzyme to start breaking down the fruit. It adds a little more flavor in my experience. I think the campden cost me $2 for a bag that has more tabs than I can use in a year and the pectic was $3-4. It usally lasts me about 6 mos [but im a 1 gallon brewer, so ymmv].

hmmm I guess I can hope the freezing and dethawing process burst open a few of the skins.
Well next time I will know more.

I love how in this hobby it is easy to have your growth in knowledge show off in the finished product.

It usually breaks atleast a few so youll end up with flavor. Just let em sit in there for awhile.Besides letting it sitt ong some lees and fruit cant only encourage the malo lactic fermentation.. which is a very very good thing.

It is truly amazing you will notice your batches get gradually better. I eventually realized that its more like a science experement than anything. So only change on variable at a time to give yourself concrete results. Researching can help quite a bit too, as far as giving you defferent ideas and techniques until you develop your own style and technique

Back