TriClamp Sight Glass -- any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been working on creating a new sight glass for my 20g kettle that came with TC ports for a sight glass near the top and bottom. Anyone have a metal lathe and stainless welding skills? :)

After a brief lapse in my google kung-fu, I was able to find 1" Kimax heavy wall borosilicate tubing for a reasonable price. Part # CG-703-06L looks like an exact match to the original (1" OD w/ 5/32" walls), or I could go up to 1.25" OD #CG-703-07L. Approx $35 shipped for a 4' tube. One part down.

I have a pair of 1" TC sight glasses i'm planning to extend with new rods and glass. I can get rods here from McMaster, but they are a bit pricey. http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-level-gauges/=j2vxq1. I need 14 1/4" version if I go with the parts I have. Any leads on stainless 1/4" rod with threaded ends? I have no desire to try and thread 1/4" stainless rod...

The sight glass is two flanges, 4 rods/nuts, a borosilicate glass tube and a pair of silicon rings. Pretty straightforward design where the nuts are designed to hold the flanges in alignment while providing enough compression into the silicon seal to prevent leaks.

[Edit -- I bought this; not my creation]

photo%25201.JPG

I would rather have less bulky 1" TC elbow welded directly to an appropriate flange -- however, I can't weld, nor do I have a metal lathe... anyone willing to build four of them? :) This would gain me about 2" on the sight glass and probably mean I wouldn't have to buy new sight glasses with new rods/glass (and I could return the ones I have). 'course, it would probably cost as much as a sight glass for the custom work.

photo%25203.JPG

Something like this. I think I could literally have a flanged 1" TC like this welded onto a ~3" stainless disc about a 1/4" thick with a 1.5" hole in the center and 4 holes on the perimeter for rods. Hmm, or maybe solder?

SightGlass.png

This is a great idea man. I may do something like this for my sanke keg which is in the process of being modified for boil pot. You buy the sight glass assembly from Mc master as well?

This is a great idea man. I may do something like this for my sanke keg which is in the process of being modified for boil pot. You buy the sight glass assembly from Mc master as well?

I bought the original sight glass assemblies from brewershardware -- it's this one: https://www.brewershardware.com/TC10SG.html.

However, what I'm thinking is more cost effective is to take an existing TC 90 as-is ($13) + a stainless flange of the right dimensions. The tri-clamp face becomes the seat for the silicon washer and tube and the hole in the flange captures the washer/tube. McMaster has flanges, but they are absurdly expensive and not the right size.

TCplusflange.png

The outside diameter might need to be tweaked to make sure the nuts clear the welded flange when assembled -- but it's pretty close.

Flange.png

The 1" triclamp has about a .86" ID hole and 1.984" outside diameter on the flange. The idea is to either a 1" or 1 1/4" heavy wall tube like this: http://www.chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-703. Ultimately, the hole in the flange depends on the silicon washer you use -- I can't seem to find stock ones yet and a washer with extra clearance requires less accuracy than an oring in the fittings.

flange + washer (orange) + tube (blue). Not showing the tri-clamp elbow that would be welded on the back.

Flange2.jpg

Digging up an old thread, but I was curious if anyone was able to come up with an easy resolution for this?

My quick thoughts would be to drill, tap and weld or solder an elbow compression fitting to an end cap. Like this guy who did the same thing for his pumps.

Then it would be easy to add a polycarbonate sight glass like the weldless kits that are out there.

Why don't you just buy a TC compression fitting? They do make them for like $20 bucks

Hey bolt you said you bought the sight glass from brewers hardware. Can you tell me what the inside and outside diameter of the glass?

Back