Wee Heavy Strong Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is correct. Beersmith will calculate the decoction volumes for you.

Whats the mash profil you use in beersmith? I'm seeing single mash light body profile that hits 148 degrees but it won't fit in my mashtun as it need 10+(have a 9gal). And when looking at the fermentation tab,it says est. ABV 7-8% meas ABV 4.7%(wich is low for the style of beer.

Whats the mash profil you use in beersmith? I'm seeing single mash light body profile that hits 148 degrees but it won't fit in my mashtun as it need 10+(have a 9gal). And when looking at the fermentation tab,it says est. ABV 7-8% meas ABV 4.7%(wich is low for the style of beer.

Sorry man, I can't help you there. It sounds like a PEBCAC issue.

Problem
Exists
Between
Computer
And
Chair

You just need to tinker with beersmith a bit and get used to it.

Ok so if i follow the joy of homebrewing guide.

1quart per pound of grain=17 quarts for the 17.25 lbs of grains
8.5 gal for sparging.

Is this what you used when doing this recipe?

Ok so if i follow the joy of homebrewing guide.

1quart per pound of grain=17 quarts for the 17.25 lbs of grains
8.5 gal for sparging.

Is this what you used when doing this recipe?

6 gallon batch:

total water needed= 10.77 gallons
Strike water = 5.74 gallons
Sparge water = 5.03 gallons

This was in my system at 1.33 quarts a pound.

We're going to try this recipe. Sounds great, and like the idea of making it subtly hop forward.

One question: We usually only have American 2 Row. would you recommend 2 row as a grain substitute? If not, any other suggestions? Many thanks!

jdmckinn said:
We're going to try this recipe. Sounds great, and like the idea of making it subtly hop forward.

One question: We usually only have American 2 Row. would you recommend 2 row as a grain substitute? If not, any other suggestions? Many thanks!

You can always sub 2row for Marris Otter or Golden Promise... it just won't be AS rich and malty.

brewed this last night. oversparged by almost 2 gallons (whoops! no idea how that happened!) so I had to take extreme measures to hit the OG. I took about 1.5 gal of the extra sparge, boiled it down on my stove to about 0.5 gallons while the hops and main boil happened outside on the propane. Added it back together at the end of the boil, hit 1.071.

[I would have just boiled it all on propane for an extra hour before adding hops to get it to the right volume, but it was already super late, propane tanks were almost empty and I had to keep alternating between them as they froze. it was cold last night.]

now i'm trying to figure out what it's going to taste like :cross:.

CorneliusAlphonse said:

It's probably going to taste awesome. I carmelized my first runnings last Saturday for a scotch ale, and that's the only way to fly IMO. You used the seconds, but it still is going to have a flavor intensifying effect. You probably should have gotten a little better efficiency than you did with the extra sparge water, but that's probably fine.

It's probably going to taste awesome. I carmelized my first runnings last Saturday for a scotch ale, and that's the only way to fly IMO. You used the seconds, but it still is going to have a flavor intensifying effect. You probably should have gotten a little better efficiency than you did with the extra sparge water, but that's probably fine.

I got it crushed at the LHBS, and I was using year-old marris otter (stored decently), so that might be why I my efficiency wasn't any better. But I also ended up with 7.5 gallons into the fermenter instead of the 7.1 that beersmith predicted, so it would've been the right OG if I had gotten it boiled down all the way

all in all, lots of little mistakes, but the beer should still be delicious :mug: fermentation took off like a rocket.

brewed this last night. oversparged by almost 2 gallons (whoops! no idea how that happened!) so I had to take extreme measures to hit the OG. I took about 1.5 gal of the extra sparge, boiled it down on my stove to about 0.5 gallons while the hops and main boil happened outside on the propane. Added it back together at the end of the boil, hit 1.071.

[I would have just boiled it all on propane for an extra hour before adding hops to get it to the right volume, but it was already super late, propane tanks were almost empty and I had to keep alternating between them as they froze. it was cold last night.]

It's going to taste great, I consider the kettle carmelization an improvement to the recipe.

mashed for 45 minutes at 149 and decocted 45 minutes at 157

So I watch a decoction video from Brew TV on youtue. If I am correct then I will take out the thinkest Grist from the mash and heat it up to 157 and let it sit at that temp for 45 min or is the whole decoction 45 min from when it hits the burner? I just wanna make sure I don't mess this bad boy up. Looks to good to ruin!
Thanks

I don't even really boil it that long. I boil the decoction for a few minutes and then toss it back into the mash tun, stir it up, measure the temp and proceed.

I brewed a modified version of this last night... Here's the recipe.

9 lb - Maris Otter
1 lb - Munich Malt
1 lb - Crystal 60L
1 lb - Special Roast Malt
0.5 lb - Amber Malt
0.5 lb - CaraPils/Dextrine
0.15 lb - Roasted Barley
0.10 lb - Chocolate Malt

(Mashed at 152 degrees for 45 Minutes, followed by a batch sparge)

0.5 oz Chinook (60 Min)
0.5 oz Chinook (15 Min)

Pitch - Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale)

I tasted the wort this morning, and unfortunately, wasn't impressed. It tasted almost burnt and rather bitter. There were several sweet overtones, however to me it didn't taste all that good. I know that fermentation, secondary and aging will change the flavor profile dramatically. I guess I expected a different taste. Should I just chill out, and stay the course?

I brewed a modified version of this last night... Here's the recipe.

9 lb - Maris Otter
1 lb - Munich Malt
1 lb - Crystal 60L
1 lb - Special Roast Malt
0.5 lb - Amber Malt
0.5 lb - CaraPils/Dextrine
0.15 lb - Roasted Barley
0.10 lb - Chocolate Malt

(Mashed at 152 degrees for 45 Minutes, followed by a batch sparge)

0.5 oz Chinook (60 Min)
0.5 oz Chinook (15 Min)

Pitch - Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale)

I tasted the wort this morning, and unfortunately, wasn't impressed. It tasted almost burnt and rather bitter. There were several sweet overtones, however to me it didn't taste all that good. I know that fermentation, secondary and aging will change the flavor profile dramatically. I guess I expected a different taste. Should I just chill out, and stay the course?

This an entirely different beer than the one I posted. Lower gravity, different yeast, different malts, different mash schedule........not sure what to tell you, but it looks like you made an overhopped irish red. I would drink the crap out of it though, it sounds tasty.

This an entirely different beer than the one I posted. Lower gravity, different yeast, different malts, different mash schedule........not sure what to tell you, but it looks like you made an overhopped irish red. I would drink the crap out of it though, it sounds tasty.

What about the "burnt" taste? Any idea where this might have come from??

Also, the Wyeast never took off. I waited 36 hours, checked gravity. Nothing. I'm thinking that I may have had a bad package of yeast. Anyways, I re-pitched, this time with the Nottingham that your recipe called for. Hopefully this won't cause too much of an issue.

What about the "burnt" taste? Any idea where this might have come from??

Also, the Wyeast never took off. I waited 36 hours, checked gravity. Nothing. I'm thinking that I may have had a bad package of yeast. Anyways, I re-pitched, this time with the Nottingham that your recipe called for. Hopefully this won't cause too much of an issue.

Relax, you really can't gague much by how the unfermented wort tastes.

Relax, you really can't gague much by how the unfermented wort tastes.

You're right. Normally I wouldn't worry about it. Typically I brew IPA's, and the wort usual tastes great. I suppose I was just expecting a great tasting result immediately. I'm just going to let this one age in secondary for 3+ months, and see what we got in early February. No need to rush it.

After fermentation (which occurred after I re-pitched with Nottingham) the beer (albeit non carbonated) tastes MUCH better. Hints of Caramel, Toffee, and refined spirits linger on the palate far past the initial sip. I am impressed, and LOVING the fact that my first attempt at all grain is seemingly a successful one.

After fermentation (which occurred after I re-pitched with Nottingham) the beer (albeit non carbonated) tastes MUCH better. Hints of Caramel, Toffee, and refined spirits linger on the palate far past the initial sip. I am impressed, and LOVING the fact that my first attempt at all grain is seemingly a successful one.

RDWHAHB.............. let the nottingham continue to work it's magic. 3-4 weeks in primary is just right.

How close to Sam Adams Wee Heavy is this taste wise. I've had bell havens wee heavy, so I'm wondering how close in taste it is

What fermentation schedule has worked best for those who have brewed this? I typically keep in primary 3-4 weeks then bottle, with no secondary most of the time. I mostly brew IPAs and Browns though. I see some of you have secondaried as long as 2 months.

I have no MOA and wont have any till spring. If I were to sub in 2 row do you think I could bump up the malt taste with some Aromatic? Or will that throw off the whole flavor profile?

I have no MOA and wont have any till spring. If I were to sub in 2 row do you think I could bump up the malt taste with some Aromatic? Or will that throw off the whole flavor profile?

I think I would do it this way: split the base malt up, go with 75% two row and %25 munich.

So my strong scotch ale was in primary for a week or so (until it finished fermentation) then I left it in the carboy for almost 2 months. I'll be bottling it this week. Is there anything I need to do to get it ready for bottling? obviously prime it, but will there be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate it?

Nottingham worked great for me in this one. However, I think US-05 is a superior yeast. Given the choice, I would use US-05. The key is to mash properly to avoid over attenuation.

permo said:
Nottingham worked great for me in this one. However, I think US-05 is a superior yeast. Given the choice, I would use US-05. The key is to mash properly to avoid over attenuation.

Perfect, thanks for the info!

I am going to brew this one up again. I am going to switch yeast to WY1275 or WLP023 to bring some more flavor to the party. I am going to change to one 27 IBU bittering addition of Magnum hops as well. I will cold crash after termininal gravity is reached, clear with gelatin, keg it and cold condition for a few months.

I am anticipating an amazing beer.

So your going to use gelatin instead of Irish moss. When do you put in the gelatin.

So your going to use gelatin instead of Irish moss. When do you put in the gelatin.

I will be using both. The irish moss is added to the boil, gelatin is added to the fermenter, secondary or keg after the beer has been cold crashed. It really helps clear the beer.

This could just be me, but the idea of gelatin in a beer weirds me out haha.
I get great results simply from Irish moss and a bit of time in the secondary fermentor.
To each his own, however!

only been in the bottle for two weeks, but since it's Robbie Burns day and i don't have any scotch... thought i'd try a taste of the strong scotch ale. It is delicious - fairly sweet, mild alcohol flavour, nice malty aroma. great. when it's fully carbonated it will be amazing, and i think it will age great! thanks again for the recipe!

only been in the bottle for two weeks, but since it's Robbie Burns day and i don't have any scotch... thought i'd try a taste of the strong scotch ale. It is delicious - fairly sweet, mild alcohol flavour, nice malty aroma. great. when it's fully carbonated it will be amazing, and i think it will age great! thanks again for the recipe!

It seems like simple recipes are often the best! sounds like it turned out great

So I brewed this big boy on Sunday, and let me tell you, I got 1.093 even with having 3-5 small boil overs. I got about 9 gallons of wort out of my MLT and I only have a 7 gal brew pot, so I had a long brew because I had to get all that evaporated done to 5 gals. I also got a wyeast smack pack 1728 Scottish ale, its going slow, but its going. How long did it take to ferment for you?

So I brewed this big boy on Sunday, and let me tell you, I got 1.093 even with having 3-5 small boil overs. I got about 9 gallons of wort out of my MLT and I only have a 7 gal brew pot, so I had a long brew because I had to get all that evaporated done to 5 gals. I also got a wyeast smack pack 1728 Scottish ale, its going slow, but its going. How long did it take to ferment for you?

It sure sounds awesome.....but here is a word of advice. You should pitch at least one more smack pack into there if you can. You underpitched quite a bit.

With nottingham, it didn't take long at all.

Back