Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about the brewing prowess of Firestone Walker but this is the first time I've had one of their beers. We don't see a whole lot of them here on the east cost.

The Union Jack is a straight up hop bomb. From their website, they use Warrior, Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, and Chinook. Jesus.

I put it head to head with the Stone IPA, a classic. I gotta say they taste pretty similar. Stone uses a bunch of the "C" hops also. Jack is more of a jacked-up Stone in my opinion. It's very tasty, but is approaching DIPA land. It's a really big IPA compares to say the 60 minute, which I consider the classic IPA. Great beer though.

Anyone have the Union Jack? Like it?

I followed you they other day through frostyone and just recognized you. Glad to see you are a HBTer.

Stone is more straight bitterness. I think that the Union Jack is more balanced. Bigger hop nose, more complex, but I think it is a very different beer than Stone. And to compare it to 60 Minute is weird, too. 60 Minute is so sweet and malty. Bleh.

That's his name on twitter. I think i got the spelling correct.

Ooooh I got ya I was confused there for a sec lol.

Stone is more straight bitterness. I think that the Union Jack is more balanced. Bigger hop nose, more complex, but I think it is a very different beer than Stone. And to compare it to 60 Minute is weird, too. 60 Minute is so sweet and malty. Bleh.

Hm...it's weird to compare an American IPA to an American IPA? 60 minute is sweet and malty?

I've only had it once a while ago, and I found it to be pretty bland with little hop presence. I must have got a really old bottle.

60 Minute is so sweet and malty. Bleh.

Gotta say I agree. I was all stoked to try the DFH IPAs and they honestly left a lot to be desired, particularly compared to the style of IPA you get all over San Diego. I'll take a Ballast Point or Stone any day of the week.

I <3 Union Jack.
Quite possibly my favorite IPA.
I do get it a bit more fresh than the rest of the country though, being that I'm in San Luis Obispo. I'd say very deserving of the two GABF gold medals the past two years.

I put Union Jack on my list "to find" and once I located. I must say, im drinking it now. I enjoy how well balanced it is. ITs not a Pliney but its enjoyable. I really am enjoying the flavors and the combonations of hops:mug:

pizza shop across the street from Casa Chicken added a kegerator recently.
All crap A/B but for 2 taps of Firestone/walker DBA and Union Jack.

The Union Jack was very tasty and paired well with my slice of NY style Pizza. Very Balanced.
If all goes well, they will be keeping this on tap and dumping Shocktop for a Sierra Nevada seasonal. Hell, I may even try to get a DB brew on there. hint hint.

they love the fact that a beer nerd and brewer appreciates the draft beer there.
even moreso, that I currently work for a competitor just four blocks away and prefer their pizzas. :)

my only enemy in this is the A/B distributor.. but I know his weaknesses as I have dealt with him for three years at my joint. heh heh heh.

pizza shop across the street added a kegerator recently.
All crap A/B but for 2 taps of Firestone/walker DBA and Union Jack.

The Union Jack was very tasty and paired well with my slice of NY style Pizza.
If all goes well, they will be keeping this on tap and dumping Shocktop for a Sierra Nevada seasonal. Hell, may even try to get a DB brew on there.

hint hint.

Union Jack would pair really well with pizza - good tip.

Glad to see the shop is coming to their senses.

Dogfish Head IPAs taste like typical homebrew IPAs. I had the 90 min once and it was ok, mild and smooth. Had it another time and just cloyingly sweet.

Stone Ruination is way too hoppy in an overly simplified way. Too much in-your-face blatancy. The Cascade is getting old. Like much of Stone's image, it's just obnoxious.

Tried the Firestone a few months ago and it didn't leave an impression.

If you want a solid hoppy IPA then there's no beating Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas. The nose puts Stone to shame... a far more balanced end product in terms of hop aromatics... although not as malty as Stone, which just means it's more refreshing on a hot day. Some say the RR Pliny, but that is not as strong and didn't leave me with the same impression.

The funny thing about IPA's are that we can all say what we think is best but its all just personal preference. I did a sampling of double ipa's/big singles with a couple friends and none of us had remotely the same preference. In order here is what I liked out of what we had.

Founders double trouble
Pliny The Elder
Green Flash Imperial IPA
Bell's HopSlam
Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Avery Maharaja
Hop Stoopid
Firestone Walker
Ruinition
Alesmith IPA
DFH 90
A lot of them were very close and are all awesome beers. Its just personal preference.

If you want a solid hoppy IPA then there's no beating Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas. The nose puts Stone to shame... a far more balanced end product in terms of hop aromatics... although not as malty as Stone, which just means it's more refreshing on a hot day.

would have to totally agree with you on this one. had some last night while brewing a double IPA great to drink in a steam-filled apartment.

Latest posts

Back